Why encapsulating requires system reboot - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Why encapsulating requires system reboot - Veritas Volume Manager ; Why encapsulation requires system reboot even when I try to encapsulate disk with all filesystems unmounted? Thanks....

  1. Why encapsulating requires system reboot

    Why encapsulation requires system reboot even when I try to encapsulate disk
    with all filesystems unmounted?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Why encapsulating requires system reboot

    Big issue is that :

    1. The OS might still refere to the disk (some cache or other process
    that might still be running).

    2. Volume Manager needs to create new sub-disks, lpexes and volumes
    around the current partitions AND add new paritions to the disk. This is
    all done before the diskgroup is available for use (because making the
    stuff available while access can be gained by any process or user), will
    cause corruption.

    Roman wrote:
    > Why encapsulation requires system reboot even when I try to encapsulate disk
    > with all filesystems unmounted?
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread