Loss Of Data on Veritas Volume Manger File System Disk groups - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Loss Of Data on Veritas Volume Manger File System Disk groups - Veritas Volume Manager ; We've expereineced problems whenever we reboot our HP servers that some VERITAS DG like Oradg or other diskgroups on the external dsik are either entirely missing or partially missing. This happens often. We are running VERIATS VxFS, VCS with two ...

  1. Loss Of Data on Veritas Volume Manger File System Disk groups

    We've expereineced problems whenever we reboot our HP servers that some VERITAS
    DG like Oradg or other diskgroups on the external dsik are either entirely
    missing or partially missing.

    This happens often. We are running VERIATS VxFS, VCS with two HP rp8400s
    running HP-UX 11i connected to the HP XP1024 external disk.

    Has anyone come accros such a problem and how have resolved it?

  2. Re: Loss Of Data on Veritas Volume Manger File System Disk groups

    Could be that Volume Manager starts too fast for the HBA to complete the
    device discovery.

    Solution:

    1. set the HBA to complete discovery before returning to the OS

    2. edit /etc/init.d/vxvm-startup2 file. Look for the line "vxdctl
    enable". Add the following in the line just above that "sleep 30:. This
    will give your system an extra 30 seconds to complete device discovery
    before Volume Manager starts the scan of the device tree in the kernel.

    A good test to see if this is really the problem, is to run "vxdctl
    enable" after the machine has booted up, and you do not see your devices.

    Victor Mumbi wrote:
    > We've expereineced problems whenever we reboot our HP servers that some VERITAS
    > DG like Oradg or other diskgroups on the external dsik are either entirely
    > missing or partially missing.
    >
    > This happens often. We are running VERIATS VxFS, VCS with two HP rp8400s
    > running HP-UX 11i connected to the HP XP1024 external disk.
    >
    > Has anyone come accros such a problem and how have resolved it?

+ Reply to Thread