Failing disk - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Failing disk - Veritas Volume Manager ; Newbie question I have a disk that is failing. I want to take it offline break the mirror(i'm guessing) and remove the drive. Replace with a new drive and resync and put online. I know its simple but I cant ...

  1. Failing disk

    Newbie question

    I have a disk that is failing. I want to take it offline break the mirror(i'm
    guessing) and remove the drive. Replace with a new drive and resync and put
    online.
    I know its simple but I cant find the procedure anywhere. Any help greatly
    appreciated.

    Sun Solaris 8 sparc 9 Veritas Volume Mgr. 18GB Array

    c1t0d0s2 sliced - - error
    c1t0d0s5 simple c1t0d0s5 rootdg online
    c1t1d0s2 sliced - - error
    c1t1d0s5 simple c1t1d0s5 rootdg online
    c2t0d0s2 sliced oradsk02 oradg online
    c2t1d0s2 sliced oradsk03 oradg online
    c2t2d0s2 sliced oradsk04 oradg online
    c2t3d0s2 sliced oradsk05 oradg online failing
    c2t4d0s2 sliced oradsk08 oradg online
    c2t5d0s2 sliced appdsk01 appdg online
    c3t8d0s2 sliced oramdsk02 oradg online
    c3t9d0s2 sliced oramdsk03 oradg online
    c3t10d0s2 sliced oramdsk04 oradg online
    c3t11d0s2 sliced oramdsk05 oradg online
    c3t12d0s2 sliced oramdsk08 oradg online
    c3t13d0s2 sliced appmdsk01 appdg online

    thanks

  2. Re: Failing disk

    The "failing" means that Volume Manager tried to write to the data area
    of the disk. It failed, but other areas of the disk is still fine.

    So, you can ignore the error (just set the failing flag off with the
    command "vxedit -g oradg set failing=off oradsk05") and monitor to see
    that it does not happen again, or

    replace the disk with

    vxdiskadm option 4
    then physically replace the disk, then vxdiskadm option 5

    It will do all the breaking of mirrors and re-mirror for you

    hks wrote:
    > Newbie question
    >
    > I have a disk that is failing. I want to take it offline break the mirror(i'm
    > guessing) and remove the drive. Replace with a new drive and resync and put
    > online.
    > I know its simple but I cant find the procedure anywhere. Any help greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Sun Solaris 8 sparc 9 Veritas Volume Mgr. 18GB Array
    >
    > c1t0d0s2 sliced - - error
    > c1t0d0s5 simple c1t0d0s5 rootdg online
    > c1t1d0s2 sliced - - error
    > c1t1d0s5 simple c1t1d0s5 rootdg online
    > c2t0d0s2 sliced oradsk02 oradg online
    > c2t1d0s2 sliced oradsk03 oradg online
    > c2t2d0s2 sliced oradsk04 oradg online
    > c2t3d0s2 sliced oradsk05 oradg online failing
    > c2t4d0s2 sliced oradsk08 oradg online
    > c2t5d0s2 sliced appdsk01 appdg online
    > c3t8d0s2 sliced oramdsk02 oradg online
    > c3t9d0s2 sliced oramdsk03 oradg online