Removing and Adding a new drive for a failed disk on a disk group rootdg that is mirrored? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Removing and Adding a new drive for a failed disk on a disk group rootdg that is mirrored? - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hello; I have sketched out a plan to remove a bad disk and add a new disk in a mirrored rootdg disk group by doing a hot pluggable swap and then mirror new drive with out shutting down my Solaris ...

  1. Removing and Adding a new drive for a failed disk on a disk group rootdg that is mirrored?

    Hello;

    I have sketched out a plan to remove a bad disk and add a new disk in a mirrored
    rootdg disk group by doing a hot pluggable swap and then mirror new drive
    with out shutting down my Solaris server. I am including a brief plan of
    how I plan to do this below. Basically this group had four volumes opt,
    rootvol, swapvol and var to be mirrored. I believe this is the basic plan
    of attack below.

    I currently have a disk group rootdg with 2 36G drives mirrored in it. This
    past weekend the secondary drive c1t1d0 failed and is currently disconnected
    and offline and I am getting a replacement drive sent to me. I would like
    to use the hot pluggable remove and insert and then remirror this disk group
    with out powering down the server after business hours. I have sketched
    out my procedure which includes breaking the mirror with vxplex command,
    remove old disk from rootdg with vxdiskunsetup, removing the device c1t1d0s2
    with luxadm command, remove disk drive, use devfsadm to cleanup, add new
    drive, add logical links with devfsadm command and format drive. Then use
    vxdisksetup command to add disk to rootdg disk group with vxdg and then mirror
    4 volumes on rootdg with vxassist command and verify when done with vxprint.
    I just want to know if this is the right methodology for a Solaris system?
    Product : VEA
    Product Version : 3.0.2.261
    Product Language : English
    Platform/OS Info : Solaris / 8.0
    Platform Language : English
    Storage Device Notes : SunFire 280 R with StoreEdge FCAL

    Any additional information or direction would be helpful?

    Thank you,

    Paul Larrondo

  2. Re: Removing and Adding a new drive for a failed disk on a disk grouprootdg that is mirrored?

    OK - vxdiskadm

    option 4

    Then remove the disk and replace (OS stuff done here)

    then vxdiskadm option 5

    use "vxtask -l list" to check if the mirrors complete

    too easy

    Paul Larrondo wrote:
    > Hello;
    >
    > I have sketched out a plan to remove a bad disk and add a new disk in a mirrored
    > rootdg disk group by doing a hot pluggable swap and then mirror new drive
    > with out shutting down my Solaris server. I am including a brief plan of
    > how I plan to do this below. Basically this group had four volumes opt,
    > rootvol, swapvol and var to be mirrored. I believe this is the basic plan
    > of attack below.
    >
    > I currently have a disk group rootdg with 2 36G drives mirrored in it. This
    > past weekend the secondary drive c1t1d0 failed and is currently disconnected
    > and offline and I am getting a replacement drive sent to me. I would like
    > to use the hot pluggable remove and insert and then remirror this disk group
    > with out powering down the server after business hours. I have sketched
    > out my procedure which includes breaking the mirror with vxplex command,
    > remove old disk from rootdg with vxdiskunsetup, removing the device c1t1d0s2
    > with luxadm command, remove disk drive, use devfsadm to cleanup, add new
    > drive, add logical links with devfsadm command and format drive. Then use
    > vxdisksetup command to add disk to rootdg disk group with vxdg and then mirror
    > 4 volumes on rootdg with vxassist command and verify when done with vxprint.
    > I just want to know if this is the right methodology for a Solaris system?
    > Product : VEA
    > Product Version : 3.0.2.261
    > Product Language : English
    > Platform/OS Info : Solaris / 8.0
    > Platform Language : English
    > Storage Device Notes : SunFire 280 R with StoreEdge FCAL
    >
    > Any additional information or direction would be helpful?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Paul Larrondo

+ Reply to Thread