mkfs syntax after vxassist - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on mkfs syntax after vxassist - Veritas Volume Manager ; Grew ufs volume (oraback) with vxassist: vxassist -b growby 4g oraback Need to run mkfs to extend volume (it is ufs); command needs number of sectors—is that for the total number of sectors that volume would ultimately include or the ...

  1. mkfs syntax after vxassist

    Grew ufs volume (oraback) with vxassist:

    vxassist -b growby 4g oraback

    Need to run mkfs to extend volume (it is ufs); command needs number of sectors—is
    that for the total number of sectors that volume would ultimately include
    or the number of sectors that the volume should grow?

    Do I find the number of sectors that I need to extend by in vxprint output
    (length column) or is there a better way?

    Assuming I figure out the number of sectors, is this the correct syntax?

    mkfs -F ufs -M /oraback /dev/vx/rdsk/oracle/oraback 8388608

    Finally, can this command be run with applications running, or should server
    be in a quiescent state? Thanks in advance.

    --yb

  2. Re: mkfs syntax after vxassist

    Volume lengths are given in 512 byte blocks.

    To see the number of 512 byte blocks per sector on our filesystem, you
    will need to do a "fstyp" on your filesystem. (or if your volume is on
    disks with the same size, a prtvtoc on the disk(s)

    The mkfs command can be run with applications running.
    UFS is a monster in the sense that if there are some errors anywhere on
    the filesystem, the mkfs 0m command will fail.

    Now, remember for next time, do not use vxassist followed by mkfs, try
    vxresize (works with gb or mb or blocks) which does both in 1 go.

    YB wrote:
    > Grew ufs volume (oraback) with vxassist:
    >
    > vxassist -b growby 4g oraback
    >
    > Need to run mkfs to extend volume (it is ufs); command needs number of sectors—is
    > that for the total number of sectors that volume would ultimately include
    > or the number of sectors that the volume should grow?
    >
    > Do I find the number of sectors that I need to extend by in vxprint output
    > (length column) or is there a better way?
    >
    > Assuming I figure out the number of sectors, is this the correct syntax?
    >
    > mkfs -F ufs -M /oraback /dev/vx/rdsk/oracle/oraback 8388608
    >
    > Finally, can this command be run with applications running, or should server
    > be in a quiescent state? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --yb

+ Reply to Thread