Load balancing in 3.5 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Load balancing in 3.5 - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have 3 x V880 servers connecting to a Hitachi 9500 array. Each server has two JNI HBA's, that connect to two Brocade switches. I am using Volume Manager 3.5 to create volumes using the Hiatchi LUN's. DMP is enabled ...

  1. Load balancing in 3.5

    I have 3 x V880 servers connecting to a Hitachi 9500 array. Each server has
    two JNI HBA's, that connect to two Brocade switches. I am using Volume Manager
    3.5 to create volumes using the Hiatchi LUN's. DMP is enabled an the Hitachi
    ASL is installed and appears to be working correctly. I get, what looks to
    me like, good output from 'vxdisk list c#t#d#s#', showing four paths, etc.

    Am I correct in saying that the way this environment stands the HBA's are
    working in failover & not load balancing mode. It looks as though load balancing
    is easy to configure in VxVM 4, but I can't find anything out about it in
    3.5???

    Please comment,

    Thanks,

    David

  2. Re: Load balancing in 3.5

    Dave

    DMP wil work in load balance and fail-over mode. If all the paths to a
    disk is active (enabled in vxdisklist) - you got it going.

    Question is when will it be used (load balanced) ?

    The IO must be big enough. That is more than 2MB to the disk (per
    request - not total size of the IO). This can be simulated using "dd"
    with a large block size.

    David McWilliams wrote:
    > I have 3 x V880 servers connecting to a Hitachi 9500 array. Each server has
    > two JNI HBA's, that connect to two Brocade switches. I am using Volume Manager
    > 3.5 to create volumes using the Hiatchi LUN's. DMP is enabled an the Hitachi
    > ASL is installed and appears to be working correctly. I get, what looks to
    > me like, good output from 'vxdisk list c#t#d#s#', showing four paths, etc.
    >
    > Am I correct in saying that the way this environment stands the HBA's are
    > working in failover & not load balancing mode. It looks as though load balancing
    > is easy to configure in VxVM 4, but I can't find anything out about it in
    > 3.5???
    >
    > Please comment,
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David

  3. Re: Load balancing in 3.5

    "David McWilliams" wrote:
    >Am I correct in saying that the way this environment stands the HBA's are
    >working in failover & not load balancing mode. It looks as though load balancing
    >is easy to configure in VxVM 4, but I can't find anything out about it in
    >3.5???

    It is true that it is working in failover only mode. Look at supported configurations
    and you will find
    that HDS 9500 + sparc server works only in failover mode, not load balancing
    mode.

    przemol

  4. Re: Load balancing in 3.5

    Where you got that it is a 9500 is beyond me

    przemol wrote:
    > "David McWilliams" wrote:
    >
    >>Am I correct in saying that the way this environment stands the HBA's are
    >>working in failover & not load balancing mode. It looks as though load balancing
    >>is easy to configure in VxVM 4, but I can't find anything out about it in
    >>3.5???

    > It is true that it is working in failover only mode. Look at supported configurations
    > and you will find
    > that HDS 9500 + sparc server works only in failover mode, not load balancing
    > mode.
    >
    > przemol

+ Reply to Thread