Software Support for RAID 1+0? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Software Support for RAID 1+0? - Veritas Volume Manager ; Does Veritas Volume Manager, for Windows 2000 or Linux, support RAID 1+0 volumes in software? I am looking at the possibility of building software RAID volumes (RAID 1, RAID5, or RAID 1+0) using two to four hardware RAID storage systems. ...

  1. Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    Does Veritas Volume Manager, for Windows 2000 or Linux, support RAID 1+0
    volumes in software?

    I am looking at the possibility of building software RAID volumes (RAID 1,
    RAID5, or RAID 1+0) using two to four hardware RAID storage systems. My
    application requires up to 60 physical hard drives in each logical volume in
    order to support specific simultaneous I/O requirements. We have smaller
    systems that each support up to 20 drives. Rather than investing $50K+
    into a single hardware RAID system that can manage a 60 disk array, we are
    looking at alternatives for using multiple smaller RAID systems to
    accomplish the same thing.

    --
    Will
    westes AT earthbroadcast.com

  2. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    Yep, does support all levels of RAID.

    HOWEVER, do not suggest using a slow RAID5 config

    If you've got RAID5 at the hardware level - cool , no need to do it on
    the software side

    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
    > Does Veritas Volume Manager, for Windows 2000 or Linux, support RAID 1+0
    > volumes in software?
    >
    > I am looking at the possibility of building software RAID volumes (RAID 1,
    > RAID5, or RAID 1+0) using two to four hardware RAID storage systems. My
    > application requires up to 60 physical hard drives in each logical volume in
    > order to support specific simultaneous I/O requirements. We have smaller
    > systems that each support up to 20 drives. Rather than investing $50K+
    > into a single hardware RAID system that can manage a 60 disk array, we are
    > looking at alternatives for using multiple smaller RAID systems to
    > accomplish the same thing.

  3. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    Yep, does support all levels of RAID.

    HOWEVER, do not suggest using a slow RAID5 config

    If you've got RAID5 at the hardware level - cool , no need to do it on
    the software side

    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
    > Does Veritas Volume Manager, for Windows 2000 or Linux, support RAID 1+0
    > volumes in software?
    >
    > I am looking at the possibility of building software RAID volumes (RAID 1,
    > RAID5, or RAID 1+0) using two to four hardware RAID storage systems. My
    > application requires up to 60 physical hard drives in each logical volume in
    > order to support specific simultaneous I/O requirements. We have smaller
    > systems that each support up to 20 drives. Rather than investing $50K+
    > into a single hardware RAID system that can manage a 60 disk array, we are
    > looking at alternatives for using multiple smaller RAID systems to
    > accomplish the same thing.

  4. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    We are thinking of doing RAID 1+0 in hardware on four separate logical
    volumes across two physically identical hardware RAID boxes, then RAID 1+0
    again in software. We want to make sure we have enough physical drives
    duplicating data to give us the required I/O per second.

    --

    "me" wrote in message news:413154F0.60707@myself.i...
    > Yep, does support all levels of RAID.
    >
    > HOWEVER, do not suggest using a slow RAID5 config
    >

    > If you've got RAID5 at the hardware level - cool , no need to do it on
    > the software side
    >

    > CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
    > > Does Veritas Volume Manager, for Windows 2000 or Linux, support RAID 1+0
    > > volumes in software?
    > >
    > > I am looking at the possibility of building software RAID volumes (RAID

    1,
    > > RAID5, or RAID 1+0) using two to four hardware RAID storage systems.

    My
    > > application requires up to 60 physical hard drives in each logical

    volume in
    > > order to support specific simultaneous I/O requirements. We have

    smaller
    > > systems that each support up to 20 drives. Rather than investing

    $50K+
    > > into a single hardware RAID system that can manage a 60 disk array, we

    are
    > > looking at alternatives for using multiple smaller RAID systems to
    > > accomplish the same thing.

  5. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    We are thinking of doing RAID 1+0 in hardware on four separate logical
    volumes across two physically identical hardware RAID boxes, then RAID 1+0
    again in software. We want to make sure we have enough physical drives
    duplicating data to give us the required I/O per second.

    --
    Will
    westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    "me" wrote in message news:413154F0.60707@myself.i...
    > Yep, does support all levels of RAID.
    >
    > HOWEVER, do not suggest using a slow RAID5 config
    >

    > If you've got RAID5 at the hardware level - cool , no need to do it on
    > the software side
    >

    > CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
    > > Does Veritas Volume Manager, for Windows 2000 or Linux, support RAID 1+0
    > > volumes in software?
    > >
    > > I am looking at the possibility of building software RAID volumes (RAID

    1,
    > > RAID5, or RAID 1+0) using two to four hardware RAID storage systems.

    My
    > > application requires up to 60 physical hard drives in each logical

    volume in
    > > order to support specific simultaneous I/O requirements. We have

    smaller
    > > systems that each support up to 20 drives. Rather than investing

    $50K+
    > > into a single hardware RAID system that can manage a 60 disk array, we

    are
    > > looking at alternatives for using multiple smaller RAID systems to
    > > accomplish the same thing.

  6. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    Use the vxassist command and specify the "layout=" option.

    If you use a stripe-mirror, you'll get a layered volumes (mirroed at a
    lower level - you get more redundancy)

    You can speed things up by adding a log to the volume (see the vxassist
    man pages for adding a log to the volume)

    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
    > We are thinking of doing RAID 1+0 in hardware on four separate logical
    > volumes across two physically identical hardware RAID boxes, then RAID 1+0
    > again in software. We want to make sure we have enough physical drives
    > duplicating data to give us the required I/O per second.

  7. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    Use the vxassist command and specify the "layout=" option.

    If you use a stripe-mirror, you'll get a layered volumes (mirroed at a
    lower level - you get more redundancy)

    You can speed things up by adding a log to the volume (see the vxassist
    man pages for adding a log to the volume)

    CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
    > We are thinking of doing RAID 1+0 in hardware on four separate logical
    > volumes across two physically identical hardware RAID boxes, then RAID 1+0
    > again in software. We want to make sure we have enough physical drives
    > duplicating data to give us the required I/O per second.

  8. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    Actually on Windows RAID 1+0 isn't supported, unless this changed with SFW
    4.x but I don't think it did. From the User Guide:

    Foundation for Windows allows you to perform a wide variety of storage
    administration tasks while your systems remain online and your data remains
    available.
    ? Provides the ability to configure and manage different volume layouts:
    concatenated, striped, mirrored, mirrored striped, and RAID-5 volumes.
    Supports up to 32-way mirrors on a mirrored volume.

    It definitely wasn't supported on previous versions so it doesn't look like
    it is now either.

    KM

    "me" wrote in message news:413154F0.60707@myself.i...
    > Yep, does support all levels of RAID.
    >
    > HOWEVER, do not suggest using a slow RAID5 config
    >

    > If you've got RAID5 at the hardware level - cool , no need to do it on
    > the software side
    >

    > CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
    > > Does Veritas Volume Manager, for Windows 2000 or Linux, support RAID 1+0
    > > volumes in software?
    > >
    > > I am looking at the possibility of building software RAID volumes (RAID

    1,
    > > RAID5, or RAID 1+0) using two to four hardware RAID storage systems.

    My
    > > application requires up to 60 physical hard drives in each logical

    volume in
    > > order to support specific simultaneous I/O requirements. We have

    smaller
    > > systems that each support up to 20 drives. Rather than investing

    $50K+
    > > into a single hardware RAID system that can manage a 60 disk array, we

    are
    > > looking at alternatives for using multiple smaller RAID systems to
    > > accomplish the same thing.

  9. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    Actually on Windows RAID 1+0 isn't supported, unless this changed with SFW
    4.x but I don't think it did. From the User Guide:

    Foundation for Windows allows you to perform a wide variety of storage
    administration tasks while your systems remain online and your data remains
    available.
    ? Provides the ability to configure and manage different volume layouts:
    concatenated, striped, mirrored, mirrored striped, and RAID-5 volumes.
    Supports up to 32-way mirrors on a mirrored volume.

    It definitely wasn't supported on previous versions so it doesn't look like
    it is now either.

    KM

    "me" wrote in message news:413154F0.60707@myself.i...
    > Yep, does support all levels of RAID.
    >
    > HOWEVER, do not suggest using a slow RAID5 config
    >

    > If you've got RAID5 at the hardware level - cool , no need to do it on
    > the software side
    >

    > CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
    > > Does Veritas Volume Manager, for Windows 2000 or Linux, support RAID 1+0
    > > volumes in software?
    > >
    > > I am looking at the possibility of building software RAID volumes (RAID

    1,
    > > RAID5, or RAID 1+0) using two to four hardware RAID storage systems.

    My
    > > application requires up to 60 physical hard drives in each logical

    volume in
    > > order to support specific simultaneous I/O requirements. We have

    smaller
    > > systems that each support up to 20 drives. Rather than investing

    $50K+
    > > into a single hardware RAID system that can manage a 60 disk array, we

    are
    > > looking at alternatives for using multiple smaller RAID systems to
    > > accomplish the same thing.

  10. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    I tried 3.5, and unless I don't understand how they implement it, the
    concept is actually more powerful than RAID 1+0. They are allowing
    multiple mirrors, that are then striped across multiple drives, and you can
    create additional sets of mirrors beyond the first mirror. This allows
    snapshots that when taken offline do not compromise the redundancy of the
    original data.

    The user interface is a bit loose, and the concepts are not made very clear
    there.

    --

    "Kat M" wrote in message news:413ec9a7@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Actually on Windows RAID 1+0 isn't supported, unless this changed with SFW
    > 4.x but I don't think it did. From the User Guide:
    >
    > Foundation for Windows allows you to perform a wide variety of storage
    > administration tasks while your systems remain online and your data

    remains
    > available.
    > ? Provides the ability to configure and manage different volume layouts:
    > concatenated, striped, mirrored, mirrored striped, and RAID-5 volumes.
    > Supports up to 32-way mirrors on a mirrored volume.
    >
    > It definitely wasn't supported on previous versions so it doesn't look

    like
    > it is now either.
    >

    > KM

  11. Re: Software Support for RAID 1+0?

    I tried 3.5, and unless I don't understand how they implement it, the
    concept is actually more powerful than RAID 1+0. They are allowing
    multiple mirrors, that are then striped across multiple drives, and you can
    create additional sets of mirrors beyond the first mirror. This allows
    snapshots that when taken offline do not compromise the redundancy of the
    original data.

    The user interface is a bit loose, and the concepts are not made very clear
    there.

    --
    Will
    westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    "Kat M" wrote in message news:413ec9a7@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Actually on Windows RAID 1+0 isn't supported, unless this changed with SFW
    > 4.x but I don't think it did. From the User Guide:
    >
    > Foundation for Windows allows you to perform a wide variety of storage
    > administration tasks while your systems remain online and your data

    remains
    > available.
    > ? Provides the ability to configure and manage different volume layouts:
    > concatenated, striped, mirrored, mirrored striped, and RAID-5 volumes.
    > Supports up to 32-way mirrors on a mirrored volume.
    >
    > It definitely wasn't supported on previous versions so it doesn't look

    like
    > it is now either.
    >

    > KM

+ Reply to Thread