Removing emcpower devices - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Removing emcpower devices - Veritas Volume Manager ; I removed EMC powerpath from a system that we are going to use DMP on. DMP is now enabled, and working. However, when I do a vxdisk list, I still see emcpowerXX devices. How can I remove them from VxVM? ...

  1. Removing emcpower devices

    I removed EMC powerpath from a system that we are going to use DMP on. DMP
    is now enabled, and working.

    However, when I do a vxdisk list, I still see emcpowerXX devices.

    How can I remove them from VxVM?

    -andy S

  2. Re: Removing emcpower devices

    Andy

    The power devices are created by startup scripts. On earlier versions (2.x
    and 3.x) of PowerPath, there is a S87powervxvm script that creates the
    powerdevices.

    Just rename the script to stop the powerdevices from being created.

    Version 4.x uses a script called S??powershift (sorry, can not rememebr the
    number now). Same goes for this script.

    If you want to remove the powerdevices without rebooting, use the "vxdisk rm
    " command. Something like : "vxdisk rm emcpower1c"

    Just FYI. Unless you stop PowerPath from loading on startup (drivers load
    from the /etc/system file on Solaris), PowerPath will still take care of
    fail-over. The powerdevices are just "nice names" EMC gave you to manage the
    disks. NO harm done though (PowerPath is a good product)
    "Andy S." wrote in message

    > I removed EMC powerpath from a system that we are going to use DMP on.

    DMP
    > is now enabled, and working.
    >
    > However, when I do a vxdisk list, I still see emcpowerXX devices.
    >
    > How can I remove them from VxVM?
    >
    > -andy S

+ Reply to Thread