Data Migration using mirroring - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Data Migration using mirroring - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hello all!! Here is my situation. I am running Solaris 8 and Veritas Volume Manager 3.5mp2. I have an old Hitachi array and have just bought a new one. I need to migrated my Veritas Disks from the old EMC ...

  1. Data Migration using mirroring

    Hello all!!

    Here is my situation. I am running Solaris 8 and Veritas Volume Manager
    3.5mp2.

    I have an old Hitachi array and have just bought a new one. I need to migrated
    my Veritas Disks from the old EMC to the new EMC. What I was wanting to
    do is add the new disk to the Disk Group and mirror the disks. I would then
    like to remove the old disk from the system. My question is, how do I remove
    the old volumes cleanly. Do I just remove the array connections, or do I
    break the mirror, or should I do an evacuate of the disks? I have to do
    this while the system is online as well.

    Thanks in advance!!

  2. Re: Data Migration using mirroring

    First add disks from the new array to the diskgroups.

    Then mirror all your volumes (use the vxassists command and use the "alloc"
    option - see man page for vxassist)
    (make sure this completes before doing the next steps)

    Next remove the mirrors, but remove the "old" disks

    Say you have a volume called "MyVol" (in a dg called "MyDG") with the
    mirrors (plexes) on disks c13t1d0 and c24t1d0.

    The c13t1d0 is on the "old" array while c24t1d0 is on the "new" array

    You want to remove the c13t1d0 from the volume. You want to remove the
    mirror on that disk. Again use the vxassist command:

    vxassist -g MyDG remove mirror !c13t1d0

    And that will remove the mirror from the "old" disk (on the "old" array.)

    You will still have the "old" disk in the diskgroup. Make sure that it is no
    longer used in any volumes (vxprint or gui) and then remove the disks from
    the diskgroup:

    vxdg -g MyDG rmdisk c13t1d0

    The last step (not needed - but good is you want to "clean up" after
    yourself), is to tell volume manager to "forget" about the disk. You want to
    "unsetup" the disk:

    /etc/vx/bin/vxdiskunsetup c13t1d0

    ALL DONE !!!

    All of the above steps without having to stop, or unmount.

    Hope that helps

    "CoMteC17" wrote in message

    > Hello all!!
    >
    > Here is my situation. I am running Solaris 8 and Veritas Volume Manager
    > 3.5mp2.
    >
    > I have an old Hitachi array and have just bought a new one. I need to

    migrated
    > my Veritas Disks from the old EMC to the new EMC. What I was wanting to
    > do is add the new disk to the Disk Group and mirror the disks. I would

    then
    > like to remove the old disk from the system. My question is, how do I

    remove
    > the old volumes cleanly. Do I just remove the array connections, or do I
    > break the mirror, or should I do an evacuate of the disks? I have to do
    > this while the system is online as well.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!!

  3. Re: Data Migration using mirroring

    Thanks for the help. The actual command was "vxassist -g mydg remove mirror
    my_vol !c5t3d0".

    I also found the command "vxplex -o rm dis plex_name"

+ Reply to Thread