Size of spare disk - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Size of spare disk - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hello Everyone, I have a E450 server with 20x9 GB internal drives. The system is running Solaris 8 with VxVM 3.1. Originally, when I configured the server, I had to designate one spare disk only. Due to changes in my ...

  1. Size of spare disk

    Hello Everyone,

    I have a E450 server with 20x9 GB internal drives. The system is running
    Solaris 8 with VxVM 3.1. Originally, when I configured the server, I had
    to designate one spare disk only. Due to changes in my application requirements,
    I now need to upgrade my boot and mirror disks to 18GB. Obvioulsy, I would
    have to upgarde the spare disk to an 18 GB drive also just in case the boot
    or mirror fails. Due to cost constraints, I cannot upgrade the other 9 GB
    drives.

    Here is the hypothetical situation that I need to answer: if one of the 9GB
    drives fails, the 18 GB hotspare will kick in and data will be reloaced from
    the failed disk to the spare. When I attempt to replace the failed drive
    with a 9Gb drive, will VxVM allow me to relocate the data from the 18GB hotspare
    back to the new 9 GB disk?

    The server is a production unit and I am unable to test the above.

    Thank you,

    Khillo

  2. Re: Size of spare disk

    Here is what happens when a spare is used for hot-relocation:

    The sub-disks on the failed (or failing) disk will be copied to the spare.
    plexes will be created from the sub-disks and volumes from the plexes.

    The total size of the subdisks will be 9GB (or whatever is used on the
    failed 9GB disk).

    So, unless you start resizing the volume (which creates new subdisks), you
    can always replace the failed 9GB drive with another 9GB drive and backout
    the relocation (from the 18GB to the new 9GB).

    The biggest problem might be that the old disk (9GB) might have been
    initialized with an old layout and the new one with a new layout. (thus
    leaving you with less space to put sub-disks on). I would suggest saving a
    copy of the "prtvtoc" of all your Volume Manager disks to see the size of
    the private region (slice with Tag 15), so you can re-init. the new 9GB disk
    with the same lay-out (there are parameters you can pass to the vxdisksetup
    command to specify the lay out)

    "Khillo Elawadi" wrote in message

    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I have a E450 server with 20x9 GB internal drives. The system is running
    > Solaris 8 with VxVM 3.1. Originally, when I configured the server, I had
    > to designate one spare disk only. Due to changes in my application

    requirements,
    > I now need to upgrade my boot and mirror disks to 18GB. Obvioulsy, I

    would
    > have to upgarde the spare disk to an 18 GB drive also just in case the

    boot
    > or mirror fails. Due to cost constraints, I cannot upgrade the other 9 GB
    > drives.
    >
    > Here is the hypothetical situation that I need to answer: if one of the

    9GB
    > drives fails, the 18 GB hotspare will kick in and data will be reloaced

    from
    > the failed disk to the spare. When I attempt to replace the failed drive
    > with a 9Gb drive, will VxVM allow me to relocate the data from the 18GB

    hotspare
    > back to the new 9 GB disk?
    >
    > The server is a production unit and I am unable to test the above.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Khillo

+ Reply to Thread