Veritas DMP, please advice - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Veritas DMP, please advice - Veritas Volume Manager ; Added a DUAL fibre host adapter on v880 in order to get a second control path, followed the intruction, it seems fine. "Format" can see two disk path, vxdmpadm can see two disk path, but in /dev/vx/dmp and /dev/vx/rdmp on ...

  1. Veritas DMP, please advice

    Added a DUAL fibre host adapter on v880 in order to get a second control path,
    followed the intruction, it seems fine. "Format" can see two disk path,
    vxdmpadm can see two disk path,
    but in /dev/vx/dmp and /dev/vx/rdmp on see on disk path.
    We issued "vxdctl dmpinit" and vxdctl enable" , does this suppose to create

    another path under /dev/vx/dmp ? or not?

    why vxdmpadm can see the other path and in /dev/vx/dmp there is no entries
    there?

    Thanks a lot

  2. Re: Veritas DMP, please advice

    Allan

    Do "vxdisk list:. Do you see only 1 path to the disks ? (only one of the
    paths to each disk listed)
    Yep ? You should. It is the device listed in /dev/vx/dmp and /dev/vx/rdmp

    You already verified that DMP knows about the 2 paths (using vxdmpadm).
    Another way is to do a "vxdisk list " and look at the bottom of the
    output (for the number of paths to a disk)

    You can even change the path for any device using vxdmpadm.

    Biggest thing is that DMP knows there are 2 paths. It will use 2 paths
    (either in active/active mode or in fail-over - depending on the type of
    array).

    To stop the user from getting confused, it only displays 1 path.
    (some people think that you have more than one disk, and even format the
    second path - thus destroying all data that is already on there).

    Go and check the /dev/vx/dsk and /dev/vx/rdsk directories as well. The
    devices will be listed there.

    "allan blair" wrote in message

    > Added a DUAL fibre host adapter on v880 in order to get a second control

    path,
    > followed the intruction, it seems fine. "Format" can see two disk path,
    > vxdmpadm can see two disk path,
    > but in /dev/vx/dmp and /dev/vx/rdmp on see on disk path.
    > We issued "vxdctl dmpinit" and vxdctl enable" , does this suppose to

    create

    > another path under /dev/vx/dmp ? or not?
    >
    > why vxdmpadm can see the other path and in /dev/vx/dmp there is no entries
    > there?
    >
    > Thanks a lot

  3. Re: Veritas DMP, please advice

    you will see only one path under /dev/vx/rdmp/ and thats called dmp metanode.

    "allan blair" wrote:

    >Added a DUAL fibre host adapter on v880 in order to get a second control

    path,
    >followed the intruction, it seems fine. "Format" can see two disk path,

    >vxdmpadm can see two disk path,
    >but in /dev/vx/dmp and /dev/vx/rdmp on see on disk path.
    >We issued "vxdctl dmpinit" and vxdctl enable" , does this suppose to create
    >
    >another path under /dev/vx/dmp ? or not?
    >
    >why vxdmpadm can see the other path and in /dev/vx/dmp there is no entries
    >there?
    >
    >Thanks a lot

+ Reply to Thread