Resizing Striped-Pro Volumes - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Resizing Striped-Pro Volumes - Veritas Volume Manager ; have the following questions. A mirrored Volume VOL99 which is 20Gb (on disks DISKA and DISKB), I want to increase it by 30Gb (total 50Gb) using 2 new disks (DISKC & DISKD) ; is the command: vxresize -g rootdg VOL99 ...

  1. Resizing Striped-Pro Volumes

    have the following questions.

    A mirrored Volume VOL99 which is 20Gb (on disks DISKA and DISKB), I want to increase it by 30Gb (total 50Gb) using 2 new disks (DISKC & DISKD) ; is the command:

    vxresize -g rootdg VOL99 50g DISKA DISKB DISKC DISKD

    or

    vxresize -g rootdg VOL99 50g DISKC DISKD

    I only want the extra mirrored 30g on DISKC & DISKD.

    Using the answer from above.. I also have a 200g Mirrored Striped-Pro (MSP01), made of 3 x 66.7Gb mirrored sub volumes (MSP-SV1, MSP-SV2, MSP-SV3), each sub volume has 2 mirrors (MSV-SV1-PL1, MSV-SV1-PL2...etc, etc). each plex has one sub disk (MSV-SV1-PL1-SD1)

    If I want to extend the strip-pro volume upto 600Gb, do I:

    1) Increase each of the 3 sub volumes, by adding sub disks to each plex in the 3 mirrors.

    vxresize -g rootdg MSP-SV1 200g NEW-DISK1 NEWDISK2

    vxresize -g rootdg MSP-SV2 200g NEW-DISK3 NEWDISK4

    vxresize -g rootdg MSP-SV3 200g NEW-DISK5 NEWDISK6

    2) Add 6 new sub disks to the Striped-Pro volume (i.e. one sub disk per plex of the 3 sub volumes)

    vxresize -g rootdg MSP01 600g NEW-DISK1 NEW-DISK2 \ NEWDISK3 NEWDISK4 NEWDISK5 NEW-DISK5

    Will this ensure that each sub disk is the same size, i.e around 66.7g each.

    Finally, is it better to use vxresize over vxassist, or vice-versa.

    Thanks

    Pfalpha (remove NOSPAM from email address)

    pfalpha@NOSPAMfores.plus.com

  2. Re: Resizing Striped-Pro Volumes

    Question 1:
    ----------------
    OK, let me understand this !!

    You have a mirrored volume which you want to increase in size ?

    Then do "vxresize VOL99 50g alloc=DISKA,DISKB,DISKC,DISKD"

    or do you want to add the mirror after growing the volume ?

    Then you have to break the mirror first (assuming it is mirrored onto DISKB)
    vxassist remove mirror VOL99 alloc=!DISKB

    Grow the vollume onto DISKB
    vxresize VOL99 50G alloc=DISKA,DISKB

    and add the mirror back (using DISKC and DISKD)
    vxassist mirror VOL99 alloc=DISKC,DISKD

    Question 2
    ---------------

    You have a 3-column stripe (with all the mirrors, it uses 6 disks).
    If you want to add more space to it, you must add 6 disks at a time to it

    Volume Manager will always try to mirror accross controllers first, targets second and then disks.

    So to resize your volume: vxresize MSP01 600g alloc= NEWDISK1,NEWDISK2,NEWDISK3,NEWDISK4,NEWDISK5,NEWDI SK6

    As you noticed, I have not used the "-g rootdg" anywhere. rootdg is the default dg and you do not need to specify it. (There are a lot of good reasons not to put all your volumes into rootdg - and it is not suggested by Veritas)

    Question 3
    ---------------

    Already answered this one in another post.

    vxassist will only work on your volumes. It will not do anything to the filesystem that might be on the volume. You will need to resize the filesystem with the fsadm command. vxresize does both.

    fsadm works with blocks, while vxresize will calculate gigs, or MB or KB to blocks for you

    "pfalpha" wrote in message news:401ed40b@ROSASTDMZ05....
[...]

  3. Re: Resizing Striped-Pro Volumes

    thanks for that, just to confirm....

    You need to give all disks in the vxresize command? not just the new disk to be added in?
    "Me" wrote in message news:401f91fb@ROSASTDMZ05....

    Question 1:
[...]

  4. Re: Resizing Striped-Pro Volumes

    How sure are you that there is no space left on the other disks ?

    Best to give all disks, so that if there is space left on the disks already used, it will be used as well.

+ Reply to Thread