VxVM 3.1, vxresize, Solaris 8 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on VxVM 3.1, vxresize, Solaris 8 - Veritas Volume Manager ; I note various issues with extending a mirrored UFS volume with "logging" switched on. The VxVM version is 3.1 with patch Solaris 8 110283-05 applied. Basically issues occur if : 1) the filesystem has logging switched on. 2) the filesystem ...

  1. VxVM 3.1, vxresize, Solaris 8

    I note various issues with extending a mirrored UFS volume with "logging" switched on. The VxVM version is 3.1 with patch Solaris 8 110283-05 applied.

    Basically issues occur if :

    1) the filesystem has logging switched on.

    2) the filesystem is greater than 8Gb

    3) the extension is greater than an additional 8Gb

    All of which is true in my case.

    The questions are..

    1) has the patch fixed the problem, as I don't have a test rig to pre-test.

    2) When to use vxresize over vxassist "growby".

    Cheers

    Pfalpha (remove NOSPAM from email address)

    pfalpha@NOSPAMfores.plus.com

  2. Re: VxVM 3.1, vxresize, Solaris 8

    MMmm.

    1. Difficult to say if all the problems you mention are filesystem problems and you only give us the Volume Manager version.

    Post the output of :

    a. pkginfo -l VRTSvxfs
    b. modinfo | grep -i vx

    and I might be able to tell you.

    2. "vxassist" will grow the volume, but will do nothing to the filesystem. You have to used "fsadm" to grow the filesystem yourself after using "vxassist" to grow the volume/

    "vxresize" will grow the volume and then resize the filesystem as well.
    "pfalpha" wrote in message news:401ece25@ROSASTDMZ05....
    I note various issues with extending a mirrored UFS volume with "logging" switched on. The VxVM version is 3.1 with patch Solaris 8 110283-05 applied.

    Basically issues occur if :

    1) the filesystem has logging switched on.

    2) the filesystem is greater than 8Gb

    3) the extension is greater than an additional 8Gb

    All of which is true in my case.

    The questions are..

    1) has the patch fixed the problem, as I don't have a test rig to pre-test.

    2) When to use vxresize over vxassist "growby".

    Cheers

    Pfalpha (remove NOSPAM from email address)

    pfalpha@NOSPAMfores.plus.com

+ Reply to Thread