Striped-pro to Concat-pro??? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Striped-pro to Concat-pro??? - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have a striped-pro volume that contains 4 X 18GB disks. Due to space limitations, I need to replace those disks with 4 X 36GB disks and create two filesystems. I was wondering if there was a way to do ...

  1. Striped-pro to Concat-pro???

    I have a striped-pro volume that contains 4 X 18GB disks. Due to space limitations,
    I need to replace those disks with 4 X 36GB disks and create two filesystems.
    I was wondering if there was a way to do this online or do I have to shutdown
    the apps and build the filesystem from scratch.

    I was thinking I could relayout the striped pro to concat-pro, break the
    mirror, and mirror the 2 18GB concat disks to one of the 36GB disks, then
    do the same with the other 2 18GB disks.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Striped-pro to Concat-pro???

    Because the disks are mirrored, you can do the following:

    1. If you have enough slots to add the 36GB disks with the 18GB disks:
    a) Add the new hardware, and make sure to label the disks
    b) run "vxdctl enable"
    c) Add the disks to the diskgroup (vxdg adddisk)
    d) use the vxassist -g move <18GB diskname> <36GB
    name>
    e) repeat step d for the other 3 disks

    2. If you do not have enough slots:
    a) vxdiskadm
    b) select the option for removing a disk for replacement
    c) select the disk to replace
    d) follow the usual procedure to replace the hardware (luxadm or
    devfsadm)
    e) vxdiskadm again and select the option for replacing a removed disk
    f) check that the sync is done ("vxtask -l list" and "vxprint -th")
    before moving onto the next disk
    g) repeat steps a-f for the other 3 disks

    Don't know what you want to create 2 filesystems for.

    If this was 1 volume with a file system, you'll still have it. You will also
    have a lot of new space in the diskgroup (which can be used to increase the
    volume size or to create a new volume on).

    Remember, 1 volume = 1 filesystem

    "Nadir" wrote in message

    > I have a striped-pro volume that contains 4 X 18GB disks. Due to space

    limitations,
    > I need to replace those disks with 4 X 36GB disks and create two

    filesystems.
    > I was wondering if there was a way to do this online or do I have to

    shutdown
    > the apps and build the filesystem from scratch.
    >
    > I was thinking I could relayout the striped pro to concat-pro, break the
    > mirror, and mirror the 2 18GB concat disks to one of the 36GB disks, then
    > do the same with the other 2 18GB disks.
    >
    > Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread