to check space in volume - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on to check space in volume - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have disk group called "nfsdg" with only one mirrored volume( "nfsvol01") which is mounted on /export/home. When I issue # vxdg -g nfsdg free it shows 2 MB free (covenrted LEN into MB) #vxassist -g nfs maxsize it also ...

  1. to check space in volume

    I have disk group called "nfsdg" with only one mirrored volume( "nfsvol01")
    which is mounted on /export/home.
    When I issue
    # vxdg -g nfsdg free
    it shows 2 MB free (covenrted LEN into MB)
    #vxassist -g nfs maxsize
    it also shows 2 MB free

    But
    # df -k
    /dev/vx/dsk/nfsdg/nfsvol01 kbytes used avail capacity /exprt/hom
    17673748 12730975 4633886 74%

    ABOUT 4525 MB left

    I 'm unable to decide which is right. Please can anybody tell me which is
    right and also tell how to check capacity is used and available of volume
    in Volume Manager

    -Naveen

  2. Re: to check space in volume

    Nav

    "df -k" will show you the current File System size (remember that a file
    system does not need to occupy the whole of a volume)

    Say you have 2 disks in your disk group. Each of these disks are 36GB in
    size.
    Say you now create a volume (concatenated) of 60GB. (vxassist -g nfsdg make
    nfsvol01 60g). This means that you still have 12GB (72 - 60) left in the
    diskgroup. (this is what is reported when you use "vxdg free" and "vxassist
    maxsize"

    Say you also created a File System on your volume, and that you made the
    File System 50GB big (mkfs -F vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/nfsdg/nfsvol01 50GB)

    If you mount this file system on /export/home and do a "df -k", it will report
    that the size is 50GB (with some space used and some left)

    So, here is what you need to do:

    use "vxprint -thg nfsdg" and look at the size of your volume (sizes are given
    in 512K blocks).

    See if your File System uses the whole of the Volume (use "df -k" to get
    the FS size)

    If you have space on your volume (thus volume size > FS size), you can "stretch"
    your file system (using the "fsadm -b" command).

    If your FS and Volume is the same size, then you need to grow the Volume
    and the FS (determine how much you can grow the volume with the "vxassist
    maxgrow" command). This is done with the vxresize command.

    Hope I explained the difference between File System size, Volume size and
    the amount of free space in a diskgroup.

    NielG

    "Nav" wrote:

    >I have disk group called "nfsdg" with only one mirrored volume( "nfsvol01")
    > which is mounted on /export/home.
    >When I issue
    ># vxdg -g nfsdg free
    >it shows 2 MB free (covenrted LEN into MB)
    >#vxassist -g nfs maxsize
    >it also shows 2 MB free
    >
    >But
    ># df -k
    >/dev/vx/dsk/nfsdg/nfsvol01 kbytes used avail capacity /exprt/hom
    >17673748 12730975 4633886 74%
    >
    >ABOUT 4525 MB left
    >
    >I 'm unable to decide which is right. Please can anybody tell me which is
    >right and also tell how to check capacity is used and available of volume
    >in Volume Manager
    >
    >-Naveen

+ Reply to Thread