Determing size when doing relayout - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Determing size when doing relayout - Veritas Volume Manager ; Example, I have a volume striped across 6 full disks incl DRL log, I want to expand it to 8 full disks. I probably need to do a relayout to a ncol=8 stripeset first to have the volume use the ...

  1. Determing size when doing relayout

    Example, I have a volume striped across 6 full disks incl DRL log, I want to
    expand it to 8 full disks.

    I probably need to do a relayout to a ncol=8 stripeset first to have the
    volume use the 2 new disks.
    Then grow the volume and filesystem??

    How do i determine what size the filesystem should be (I want it to use all
    available space)? Both "vxassist relayout" and "vxresize" requires I know
    this size, but I cannot find a way of letting "vxassist maxsize" or the like
    tell me the maxsize of the new volume.

    The procedure should also work if I only want to expand with 1 disk or 3-4-5
    disks.

    --

    Remove X in front of address

    /\/\orten $eeberg, Unix Consultant @
    #echo 'We donīt just boot Unix ' > /dev/console

  2. Re: Determing size when doing relayout

    "vxassist relayout ncol=8 ...." does not require a size. The original volume
    size will be kept (2 columns will be added, but the space used on the original
    coluumns will be reduced so that your original volume size stays the same).

    After doing a relayout, you can use "vxassist maxgrow" to get the number
    of blocks it can grow by. This can be used for "vxresize", "vxassist growby"
    and "fsadm" to grow to the new size. (if you do not specify GB or MB, blocks
    will be assumed)

    Hope it helps

    "Morten Seeberg" wrote:
    >Example, I have a volume striped across 6 full disks incl DRL log, I want

    >expand it to 8 full disks.
    >
    >I probably need to do a relayout to a ncol=8 stripeset first to have the
    >volume use the 2 new disks.
    >Then grow the volume and filesystem??
    >
    >How do i determine what size the filesystem should be (I want it to use

    all
    >available space)? Both "vxassist relayout" and "vxresize" requires I know
    >this size, but I cannot find a way of letting "vxassist maxsize" or the

    like
    >tell me the maxsize of the new volume.
    >
    >The procedure should also work if I only want to expand with 1 disk or 3-4-5
    >disks.
    >
    >--
    >
    >Remove X in front of address

    >/\/\orten $eeberg, Unix Consultant @
    >#echo 'We donīt just boot Unix ' > /dev/console

  3. Re: Determing size when doing relayout

    > After doing a relayout, you can use "vxassist maxgrow" to get the number

    Ahh thatīs the one I was looking for, I didnīt know "maxgrow" existed...

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread