Want to reattach mirror but got "License Expired" error upon process finished - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Want to reattach mirror but got "License Expired" error upon process finished - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, A few weeks ago one of the VM volumes on a A5200 got read error because of a bad disk and VM detached the mirror which contain the bad disk automatically. Now the bad disk is replaced and I ...

  1. Want to reattach mirror but got "License Expired" error upon process finished

    Hi,

    A few weeks ago one of the VM volumes on a A5200 got read error because
    of a bad disk and VM detached the mirror which contain the bad disk automatically.
    Now the bad disk is replaced and I tried to attach the mirror back to the
    volume. I saw re-sync progress goes from 1% to 100% and then instead of reattaching
    the mirror VM produced the error message "License Expired, error attempt
    to clean up after failure". Now the mirror is still not attached and the
    volume is running without any mirror. I think I really have enough license
    as I have both SSA and A5200 license on the system. Below is the detail:

    vxlicense -p shows "SSA" and "Photon" with no expiration date
    VM version is 2.5.7 bundled in SUNWvxvm package running on sparc 2.6

    # vxplex -g dbadg att db6a db6a-01
    vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: changing plex db6a-01:
    License has expired or is not available for operation
    vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Attempting to cleanup after failure ...

    Sun support told me to regen a vx license by "vxdctl license init" but still
    no effect. Can someone please help? I really appreciate everyone's effort.

    Matt

  2. Re: Want to reattach mirror but got "License Expired" error upon process finished

    Matt

    Volume Manager uses the vxportal device to do the IO. If the vxportal device
    is not present (please check the /dev and the /devices directories for the
    vxportal entries), Volume Manager can not do the attach and will report that
    it could not do it, because the license has expired. (the lack of license
    just prevents access to the vxportal device, and that is why you get the
    misleading error message)

    Thus, check the /dev directory for the vxportal entry (should be a link to
    the /dev directory - if I remeber correctly) and check the /devices directory
    for the vxportal entry . If it is not present in either, you might need to
    re-install the vxvm package (follow the upgrade procedure)

    Hope that helps

    NielG

    "Matt" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    > A few weeks ago one of the VM volumes on a A5200 got read error because
    >of a bad disk and VM detached the mirror which contain the bad disk automatically.
    >Now the bad disk is replaced and I tried to attach the mirror back to the
    >volume. I saw re-sync progress goes from 1% to 100% and then instead of

    reattaching
    >the mirror VM produced the error message "License Expired, error attempt
    >to clean up after failure". Now the mirror is still not attached and the
    >volume is running without any mirror. I think I really have enough license
    >as I have both SSA and A5200 license on the system. Below is the detail:
    >
    >vxlicense -p shows "SSA" and "Photon" with no expiration date
    >VM version is 2.5.7 bundled in SUNWvxvm package running on sparc 2.6
    >
    ># vxplex -g dbadg att db6a db6a-01
    >vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: changing plex db6a-01:
    > License has expired or is not available for operation
    >vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Attempting to cleanup after failure ...
    >
    >Sun support told me to regen a vx license by "vxdctl license init" but

    still
    >no effect. Can someone please help? I really appreciate everyone's effort.
    >
    >Matt

  3. Re: Want to reattach mirror but got "License Expired" error upon process finished

    Hi Niel,

    Thanks for you reply. I solved the problem by doing "vxdctl enable"
    (the second time), but I swear I already did it once I add in the new disk
    !?

    Regards,
    Matthew

    "NielG" wrote:

    >Matt
    >

    >Volume Manager uses the vxportal device to do the IO. If the vxportal device
    >is not present (please check the /dev and the /devices directories for the
    >vxportal entries), Volume Manager can not do the attach and will report

    that
    >it could not do it, because the license has expired. (the lack of license
    >just prevents access to the vxportal device, and that is why you get the
    >misleading error message)
    >
    >Thus, check the /dev directory for the vxportal entry (should be a link

    >the /dev directory - if I remeber correctly) and check the /devices directory
    >for the vxportal entry . If it is not present in either, you might need

    >re-install the vxvm package (follow the upgrade procedure)
    >
    >Hope that helps
    >
    >NielG
    >

    >"Matt" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >> A few weeks ago one of the VM volumes on a A5200 got read error because
    >>of a bad disk and VM detached the mirror which contain the bad disk automatically.
    >>Now the bad disk is replaced and I tried to attach the mirror back to the
    >>volume. I saw re-sync progress goes from 1% to 100% and then instead of

    >reattaching
    >>the mirror VM produced the error message "License Expired, error attempt
    >>to clean up after failure". Now the mirror is still not attached and the
    >>volume is running without any mirror. I think I really have enough license
    >>as I have both SSA and A5200 license on the system. Below is the detail:
    >>
    >>vxlicense -p shows "SSA" and "Photon" with no expiration date
    >>VM version is 2.5.7 bundled in SUNWvxvm package running on sparc 2.6
    >>
    >># vxplex -g dbadg att db6a db6a-01
    >>vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: changing plex db6a-01:
    >> License has expired or is not available for operation
    >>vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Attempting to cleanup after failure ...
    >>
    >>Sun support told me to regen a vx license by "vxdctl license init" but

    >still
    >>no effect. Can someone please help? I really appreciate everyone's effort.
    >>
    >>Matt

+ Reply to Thread