Add disks to striped pro - HP-UX 11.0 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Add disks to striped pro - HP-UX 11.0 - Veritas Volume Manager ; what steps do i need to add 4 new disks to striped pro layout? we have an SC10 with hotswappable disks volume mgr 3.0 - as you can tell, I'm new at this, please be gentle.... if I can plug ...

  1. Add disks to striped pro - HP-UX 11.0

    what steps do i need to add 4 new disks to striped pro layout? we have an
    SC10 with hotswappable disks volume mgr 3.0 - as you can tell, I'm new at
    this, please be gentle....
    if I can plug the drives in live (?) how do I add them in volume manager?

  2. Re: Add disks to striped pro - HP-UX 11.0

    If I remember correctly, the sc10 is fibre? if so, add the disks to the array.
    once the drives spin up, type > ioscan -fn, insf -e , ioscan -fnC disk (verify
    you can see new disks). 'vxdisk list'. the new disks should show in veritas
    as error, type> vxdctl enable, this should bring the disks online in 'vxdisk
    list.' Add them to disk group. then extend stripe.
    *** be warned, i use veritas on sun and LVM on HP, so I putting the to ideas
    together, but it should work.
    regards,
    scott

    "new hpguy" wrote:

    >what steps do i need to add 4 new disks to striped pro layout? we have an
    >SC10 with hotswappable disks volume mgr 3.0 - as you can tell, I'm new at
    >this, please be gentle....
    >if I can plug the drives in live (?) how do I add them in volume manager?

  3. Re: Add disks to striped pro - HP-UX 11.0

    Thanks Scott!
    BTW, the old SC10 is SCSI and the FC60 is fibre.
    I've hot-added the disks and they are part of the disk group. When I run
    vxdisk list, the disks show as online. Because this is a 2x10 disk striped-mirrored
    set, I'm confused how to extend it.

    "scott" wrote:

    >If I remember correctly, the sc10 is fibre? if so, add the disks to the

    array.
    >once the drives spin up, type > ioscan -fn, insf -e , ioscan -fnC disk

    (verify
    >you can see new disks). 'vxdisk list'. the new disks should show in veritas
    >as error, type> vxdctl enable, this should bring the disks online in 'vxdisk
    >list.' Add them to disk group. then extend stripe.
    >*** be warned, i use veritas on sun and LVM on HP, so I putting the to ideas
    >together, but it should work.
    >regards,
    >scott
    >
    >"new hpguy" wrote:
    >>
    >>what steps do i need to add 4 new disks to striped pro layout? we have

    an
    >>SC10 with hotswappable disks volume mgr 3.0 - as you can tell, I'm new

    at
    >>this, please be gentle....
    >>if I can plug the drives in live (?) how do I add them in volume manager?

  4. Re: Add disks to striped pro - HP-UX 11.0

    "new hpguy" wrote:

    >Thanks Scott!
    >BTW, the old SC10 is SCSI and the FC60 is fibre.
    >I've hot-added the disks and they are part of the disk group. When I run
    >vxdisk list, the disks show as online. Because this is a 2x10 disk striped-mirrored
    >set, I'm confused how to extend it.
    >

    >"scott" wrote:
    >>
    >>If I remember correctly, the sc10 is fibre? if so, add the disks to the

    >array.
    >>once the drives spin up, type > ioscan -fn, insf -e , ioscan -fnC disk

    >(verify
    >>you can see new disks). 'vxdisk list'. the new disks should show in veritas
    >>as error, type> vxdctl enable, this should bring the disks online in 'vxdisk
    >>list.' Add them to disk group. then extend stripe.
    >>*** be warned, i use veritas on sun and LVM on HP, so I putting the to

    ideas
    >>together, but it should work.
    >>regards,
    >>scott
    >>
    >>"new hpguy" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>what steps do i need to add 4 new disks to striped pro layout? we have

    >an
    >>>SC10 with hotswappable disks volume mgr 3.0 - as you can tell, I'm new

    >at
    >>>this, please be gentle....
    >>>if I can plug the drives in live (?) how do I add them in volume manager?

    with 2x10 i'm assuming a 2 column stripe of 10 disks, you therefore need
    to extend by 2 disks at a time, just go into the gui -> grow/extend -> choose
    disks - > and go. the problem you'll experience is , if the file system
    is full, all the new data will write to the new disks only vs. spreading
    the i/o writes across all 14 disks

+ Reply to Thread