Alternate Boot Disk Question - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Alternate Boot Disk Question - Veritas Volume Manager ; I am following the procedure in TechNote 243902. I get to step 11, boot alt_boot, and get an error message "Can't open boot device". The alternate disk is external storage (SAN). It appears the external device cannot be seen this ...

  1. Alternate Boot Disk Question

    I am following the procedure in TechNote 243902. I get to step 11, boot
    alt_boot, and get an error message "Can't open boot device".

    The alternate disk is external storage (SAN). It appears the external
    device cannot be seen this early in the boot sequence.

    I've gone back over all the steps, to make sure I have defined things
    properly, and it appears I have done everything ok.

    I've been able to mirror the internal disk to the external disk, so I am
    confident my SAN connection is fine.

    I've searched the Veritas Knowledge base, EMCs knowledge base and DejaNews,
    but nothing has helped.

    My host is a Sun Ent 250, Solaris 2.7, VxVM 3.2, EMC Symmetrix 3930, Emulex
    LP8000 HBAs.

    I am looking for troubleshooting tips and/or lessons learned.

  2. Re: Alternate Boot Disk Question

    You can not boot from the san disk
    alt boot has to be internal disk

    Simer

    "Mark Kochanski" wrote:
    >I am following the procedure in TechNote 243902. I get to step 11, boot
    >alt_boot, and get an error message "Can't open boot device".
    >
    >The alternate disk is external storage (SAN). It appears the external
    >device cannot be seen this early in the boot sequence.
    >
    >I've gone back over all the steps, to make sure I have defined things
    >properly, and it appears I have done everything ok.
    >
    >I've been able to mirror the internal disk to the external disk, so I am
    >confident my SAN connection is fine.
    >
    >I've searched the Veritas Knowledge base, EMCs knowledge base and DejaNews,
    >but nothing has helped.
    >
    >My host is a Sun Ent 250, Solaris 2.7, VxVM 3.2, EMC Symmetrix 3930, Emulex
    >LP8000 HBAs.
    >
    >I am looking for troubleshooting tips and/or lessons learned.

  3. Re: Alternate Boot Disk Question

    I pulled a Homer, doh!

    Emulex and EMC publish a procedure, it helps if I read the TOC or skim thru
    the entire document. I followed the procedure and am able to boot from SAN
    disk, with and without VxVM encapsulation or mirroring.

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread