volume manager's problem - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on volume manager's problem - Veritas Volume Manager ; hi all, our hardware is sun E6500 with emc symmetrix 8430 disk array. today, i want to create a new vol within a disk group, when i assigning disk, i should press browse disk,but i press the wrong button,which is ...

  1. volume manager's problem

    hi all,
    our hardware is sun E6500 with emc symmetrix 8430 disk array.
    today, i want to create a new vol within a disk group, when i assigning disk,
    i should press browse disk,but i press the wrong
    button,which is rescan disk. and then i found that i can not shutdown vmsa,
    so from another command window, i run "kill " to kill the vmsa process. but,
    when i run vmsa again, after i enter the root's password, the vmsa will hang
    with a clock icon
    and all the correct button do not appear. and i found the bellow content
    in log file "/var/opt/vmsa/logs/command"

    Rescan Disks
    User: root
    Started: February 19, 2003 5:24:14 AM CST
    Finished: February 19, 2003 5:28:56 AM CST
    State: Successful
    Executed Commands:
    /usr/sbin/drvconfig
    /usr/sbin/disks
    /usr/sbin/vxdctl enable

    but from the ps command's output, i can only find the bellow vx process:
    host> ps -ef |grep vx
    root 1921 1920 0 Jul 16 ? 0:00 vxnotify -f -w 15
    root 20 1 0 Jul 16 ? 286:43 vxconfigd -m boot
    root 1911 1 0 Jul 16 ? 0:00 /sbin/sh - /usr/lib/vxvm/bin/vxre
    locd root
    root 1920 1911 0 Jul 16 ? 0:00 /sbin/sh - /usr/lib/vxvm/bin/vxre
    locd root
    host>
    and with "dmesg", i found the bellow error messages:
    Feb 19 22:59:07 lnv4db1 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /sbus@3,0/QLGC,i
    sp@0,10000/sd@9,0 (sd8):
    Feb 19 22:59:07 lnv4db1 offline

    which is a local disk mounted at "/export/home3"

    what can i do with such condititon and why it is.
    everybody, i need your help.
    thank you all.

    if any useful information, please email to

    gaohd@mail.sy.ln.cn

    thanks again!

  2. Re: volume manager's problem

    Stop and start VMSA server

    Simer

    "gaohd" wrote:

    >hi all,
    > our hardware is sun E6500 with emc symmetrix 8430 disk array.
    >today, i want to create a new vol within a disk group, when i assigning

    disk,
    >i should press browse disk,but i press the wrong
    >button,which is rescan disk. and then i found that i can not shutdown vmsa,
    >so from another command window, i run "kill " to kill the vmsa process.

    but,
    >when i run vmsa again, after i enter the root's password, the vmsa will

    hang
    >with a clock icon
    >and all the correct button do not appear. and i found the bellow content
    >in log file "/var/opt/vmsa/logs/command"
    >

    >Rescan Disks
    >User: root
    >Started: February 19, 2003 5:24:14 AM CST
    >Finished: February 19, 2003 5:28:56 AM CST
    >State: Successful
    >Executed Commands:
    > /usr/sbin/drvconfig
    > /usr/sbin/disks
    > /usr/sbin/vxdctl enable
    >

    >but from the ps command's output, i can only find the bellow vx process:
    >host> ps -ef |grep vx
    > root 1921 1920 0 Jul 16 ? 0:00 vxnotify -f -w 15
    > root 20 1 0 Jul 16 ? 286:43 vxconfigd -m boot
    > root 1911 1 0 Jul 16 ? 0:00 /sbin/sh - /usr/lib/vxvm/bin/vxre
    >locd root
    > root 1920 1911 0 Jul 16 ? 0:00 /sbin/sh - /usr/lib/vxvm/bin/vxre
    >locd root
    >host>
    >and with "dmesg", i found the bellow error messages:
    >Feb 19 22:59:07 lnv4db1 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /sbus@3,0/QLGC,i
    >sp@0,10000/sd@9,0 (sd8):
    >Feb 19 22:59:07 lnv4db1 offline
    >
    >which is a local disk mounted at "/export/home3"
    >
    >what can i do with such condititon and why it is.
    >everybody, i need your help.
    >thank you all.
    >
    >if any useful information, please email to
    >
    >gaohd@mail.sy.ln.cn
    >
    >thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread