Failed disk replacement - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Failed disk replacement - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have 10 disks in Sun solaris 2.8 version. 2 disks are mirrored for rootdg. Other 8 disks (6 disks are 16.9 GB each, 2 disks are 33.9 GB each) are Mirrored and Striped. The disk group is oracledg. The ...

  1. Failed disk replacement

    I have 10 disks in Sun solaris 2.8 version.
    2 disks are mirrored for rootdg.
    Other 8 disks (6 disks are 16.9 GB each, 2 disks are 33.9 GB each) are Mirrored
    and Striped. The disk group is oracledg.
    The file system is /oracle/oradata.

    Since two disks(33.9GB each) have more space left. So I mirrored
    these 2 disks, and mount point is /oracle/temp.

    Now one 33.9 GB disk failed. This disk has two mount points.

    We get new disk that is exactly same as the failed one. When we do replacement
    from Volumn Manager GUI, the error message shows:
    The new disk public region size is small than the failed one.

    We do not understand. We never setup any public region.

    Do you have any idea? Anyone help?

    Thanks

    Staci

  2. Re: Failed disk replacement

    Not sure what you are doing.
    If the disks are of same size should not be a issue.
    Create subdisks and voulmes manually on the new disks of the same size like
    the origional one. this should work.

    Simer

    "Staci" wrote:

    >I have 10 disks in Sun solaris 2.8 version.
    >2 disks are mirrored for rootdg.
    >Other 8 disks (6 disks are 16.9 GB each, 2 disks are 33.9 GB each) are Mirrored
    >and Striped. The disk group is oracledg.
    >The file system is /oracle/oradata.
    >
    >Since two disks(33.9GB each) have more space left. So I mirrored
    >these 2 disks, and mount point is /oracle/temp.
    >
    >Now one 33.9 GB disk failed. This disk has two mount points.
    >
    >We get new disk that is exactly same as the failed one. When we do replacement
    >from Volumn Manager GUI, the error message shows:
    >The new disk public region size is small than the failed one.
    >
    >We do not understand. We never setup any public region.
    >
    >Do you have any idea? Anyone help?
    >

    >Thanks
    >

    >Staci

+ Reply to Thread