can one physical disk belong to 2 diskgroups ? - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on can one physical disk belong to 2 diskgroups ? - Veritas Volume Manager ; can you have 2 diskgroups using the same set of physical disks ? I have 4 pair of disks stripped for oracle redo logs. but 2 oracle instances use this space. I want to only failover one instance without touching ...

  1. can one physical disk belong to 2 diskgroups ?

    can you have 2 diskgroups using the same set of physical disks ?

    I have 4 pair of disks stripped for oracle redo logs. but 2 oracle instances
    use this space. I want to only failover one instance without touching the
    other one.

    How do I achieve this .

  2. Re: can one physical disk belong to 2 diskgroups ?

    a disk can only be in 1 diskgroup at a time.

    Anup Patwardhan wrote:
    > can you have 2 diskgroups using the same set of physical disks ?
    >
    > I have 4 pair of disks stripped for oracle redo logs. but 2 oracle instances
    > use this space. I want to only failover one instance without touching the
    > other one.
    >
    > How do I achieve this .

  3. Re: can one physical disk belong to 2 diskgroups ?

    Anup Patwardhan wrote:
    > can you have 2 diskgroups using the same set of physical disks ?
    >
    > I have 4 pair of disks stripped for oracle redo logs. but 2 oracle instances
    > use this space. I want to only failover one instance without touching the
    > other one.
    >
    > How do I achieve this .

    You should create 2 partition on your disk and init each partition as
    simple disk.

    the following is an example:
    1. Create 2 partition on disk (c3t4d0s0 and c3t4d0s1)
    2. >vxdisk init c3t4d0s0
    >vxdisk init c3t4d0s1

    3. vxdisk list
    c3t4d0s0 simple - - online