vxvm: vxprint: ERROR: Record Xvol not found - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxvm: vxprint: ERROR: Record Xvol not found - Veritas Volume Manager ; SunOS 5.8 and Volume Manager 3.5 I have a Volume which was created in a new diskgroup, Xdg, using VEA. According to VEA, Xvol appears in Xdg, but not when I attempt to confirm this using vxprint. Similarly, Xvol does ...

  1. vxvm: vxprint: ERROR: Record Xvol not found

    SunOS 5.8 and Volume Manager 3.5

    I have a Volume which was created in a new diskgroup, Xdg, using VEA. According
    to VEA, Xvol appears in Xdg, but not when I attempt to confirm this using
    vxprint.

    Similarly, Xvol does NOT appear in /dev/{r}dsk, though it DOES appear in
    /dev/{r}dsk/Xdg.

    This is causing some serious problems with our automated backup. Can anyone
    suggest what might be the problem and/or the solution?

    Thank you and Happy Holidays!

    Sean McLinden
    Institute for Transfusion Medicine
    Pittsburgh, PA

  2. Re: vxprint: ERROR: Record Xvol not found

    You may see some stale data in VEA. As a workaround try restarting
    vxsvc (VEA) server by running '/etc/init.d/isisd restart' (this will
    disconnect vea gui from that client).
    One server is started (check with isisd status), then reconnect to the host
    and see if you still see the volume.

    -Dan

    "Sean McLinden" wrote in message

    > SunOS 5.8 and Volume Manager 3.5
    >
    > I have a Volume which was created in a new diskgroup, Xdg, using VEA.

    According
    > to VEA, Xvol appears in Xdg, but not when I attempt to confirm this using
    > vxprint.
    >
    > Similarly, Xvol does NOT appear in /dev/{r}dsk, though it DOES appear in
    > /dev/{r}dsk/Xdg.
    >
    > This is causing some serious problems with our automated backup. Can

    anyone
    > suggest what might be the problem and/or the solution?
    >
    > Thank you and Happy Holidays!
    >
    > Sean McLinden
    > Institute for Transfusion Medicine
    > Pittsburgh, PA

  3. Re: vxprint: ERROR: Record Xvol not found

    Well, that didn't do anything. Furthermore, I still have the problem that
    the volume does not appear in the /dev/vx/{r}dsk directory though it appears
    in volume subdirectory. In contrast, the root volume does appear to be configured,
    correctly, for the disk group.

    As far as I can tell, some database is out of sync since VEA shows the volume
    to be part of the disk group, but the device layout disagrees with this.

    Is there any way to force a volume to be added to a diskgroup at the command
    line (actually, I simply want to force the database to recognize that the
    volume belongs to the disk group).

    Thanks, again.

    "Dan Liport" wrote:
    > You may see some stale data in VEA. As a workaround try restarting
    >vxsvc (VEA) server by running '/etc/init.d/isisd restart' (this will
    >disconnect vea gui from that client).
    >One server is started (check with isisd status), then reconnect to the host
    >and see if you still see the volume.
    >
    >-Dan

+ Reply to Thread