Veritas disk sees itself in slot 1 but it is in slot 0 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Veritas disk sees itself in slot 1 but it is in slot 0 - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi everyone I have a hard disk that was in slot 1 (c1t1) and was under Veritas Volume Manager control. I took that disk, put it in slot 0 (c1t0), and perform a full system restore on it. After the ...

  1. Veritas disk sees itself in slot 1 but it is in slot 0

    Hi everyone

    I have a hard disk that was in slot 1 (c1t1) and was under Veritas
    Volume Manager control. I took that disk, put it in slot 0 (c1t0),
    and perform a full system restore on it. After the restore,
    when I execute the "format" command, it sees the disk in c1t1,
    while the disk is physically in c1t0. I format the hard disk
    from the "format" menu and performed again the restore, and the
    same thing happened (sees itself in slot 1 while being in slot 0).
    My question is: does vxvm puts information somewhere on the disk
    about its position, information that even a format cannot remove?
    If so, is there a way with some vxvm commands to erase completly
    that information from the disk?

    is case you ask, the full system restore is from a backup made
    with the command dd (a dd from /, /var, /usr and /opt)

    Thanks a lot
    Yannick

  2. Re: Veritas disk sees itself in slot 1 but it is in slot 0

    Nothing to do with Veritas.
    Check and recheck your location.
    format should see the exact location.
    Private regions of veritas are dynamically updated as per the disk position
    is concerened.

    Simer

    "Yannick" wrote:

    >Hi everyone
    >
    >I have a hard disk that was in slot 1 (c1t1) and was under Veritas
    >Volume Manager control. I took that disk, put it in slot 0 (c1t0),
    >and perform a full system restore on it. After the restore,
    >when I execute the "format" command, it sees the disk in c1t1,
    >while the disk is physically in c1t0. I format the hard disk
    >from the "format" menu and performed again the restore, and the
    >same thing happened (sees itself in slot 1 while being in slot 0).
    >My question is: does vxvm puts information somewhere on the disk
    >about its position, information that even a format cannot remove?
    >If so, is there a way with some vxvm commands to erase completly
    >that information from the disk?
    >
    >is case you ask, the full system restore is from a backup made
    >with the command dd (a dd from /, /var, /usr and /opt)
    >
    >Thanks a lot
    >Yannick

+ Reply to Thread