DMP problem on one disk only - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on DMP problem on one disk only - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi everyone. I'm running VM 3.2 on a Sun E4500 running Solaris 8 with 2xA5200's attached, each with 22x9G drives (44 drives total). Sun's "format" command sees 2 paths to each drive. "vxdisk list" hides the multiple paths and only ...

  1. DMP problem on one disk only

    Hi everyone.

    I'm running VM 3.2 on a Sun E4500 running Solaris 8 with
    2xA5200's attached, each with 22x9G drives (44 drives total).

    Sun's "format" command sees 2 paths to each drive.

    "vxdisk list" hides the multiple paths and only shows one path per
    disk. That's fine. That's what I expect.

    However, that isn't true for one single drive. vxdisk (and the vmsa gui)
    shows each path as if it was a separate device with only one path
    to it.

    Device: c4t87d0s2
    devicetag: c4t87d0
    type: sliced
    flags: online error private autoconfig
    errno: Disk is not usable
    Multipathing information:
    numpaths: 1
    c4t87d0s2 state=enabled

    Device: c0t87d0s2
    devicetag: c0t87d0
    type: sliced
    flags: online error private autoconfig
    errno: Disk is not usable
    Multipathing information:
    numpaths: 1
    c0t87d0s2 state=enabled

    Every other disk shows 2 paths:

    Device: c0t86d0s2
    devicetag: c0t86d0
    type: sliced
    flags: online error private autoconfig
    errno: Disk is not usable
    Multipathing information:
    numpaths: 2
    c0t86d0s2 state=enabled
    c4t86d0s2 state=enabled

    I've tried swapping out the disk in question, but that didn't
    change anything.

    How can I make VM understand that this is really one disk with
    2 paths?

    Thanks,

    Jim

  2. Re: DMP problem on one disk only

    You have to install DMP software which is licensed and optional

    Brinder
    "Jim McVey" wrote:

    >Hi everyone.
    >
    >I'm running VM 3.2 on a Sun E4500 running Solaris 8 with
    >2xA5200's attached, each with 22x9G drives (44 drives total).
    >
    >Sun's "format" command sees 2 paths to each drive.
    >
    >"vxdisk list" hides the multiple paths and only shows one path per
    >disk. That's fine. That's what I expect.
    >
    >However, that isn't true for one single drive. vxdisk (and the vmsa gui)
    >shows each path as if it was a separate device with only one path
    >to it.
    >
    >Device: c4t87d0s2
    >devicetag: c4t87d0
    >type: sliced
    >flags: online error private autoconfig
    >errno: Disk is not usable
    >Multipathing information:
    >numpaths: 1
    >c4t87d0s2 state=enabled
    >
    >Device: c0t87d0s2
    >devicetag: c0t87d0
    >type: sliced
    >flags: online error private autoconfig
    >errno: Disk is not usable
    >Multipathing information:
    >numpaths: 1
    >c0t87d0s2 state=enabled
    >

    >Every other disk shows 2 paths:
    >
    >Device: c0t86d0s2
    >devicetag: c0t86d0
    >type: sliced
    >flags: online error private autoconfig
    >errno: Disk is not usable
    >Multipathing information:
    >numpaths: 2
    >c0t86d0s2 state=enabled
    >c4t86d0s2 state=enabled
    >

    >I've tried swapping out the disk in question, but that didn't
    >change anything.
    >
    >How can I make VM understand that this is really one disk with
    >2 paths?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jim

  3. Re: DMP problem on one disk only

    Hi Jim,

    Have you checked which serial number(s) VxVM sees for the disks?
    In /usr/lib/vxvm/diag.d is a utility called vxdmpinq you can use:
    vxdmpinq
    e.g.:
    ../vxdmpinq /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2
    Vendor id : SEAGATE
    Product id : ST336605FSUN36G
    Revision : 0438
    Serial Number : 0216P1JJQY

    The serial number has to be the same for both I/O path's for DMP to see
    it's really the same disk.

    Hope this can help.

    /Peter

+ Reply to Thread