sun cluster 3.0 global filesystem - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on sun cluster 3.0 global filesystem - Veritas Volume Manager ; i am using a share disk group on a two node sun cluster 3.0(solaris 8 + veritas vol manager 3.2) I made a volume in the shared group,did a newfs and mounted in with global option so that this global ...

  1. sun cluster 3.0 global filesystem

    i am using a share disk group on a two node sun cluster 3.0(solaris 8 + veritas
    vol manager 3.2)
    I made a volume in the shared group,did a newfs and mounted in with global
    option so that this global filesystem can be seen from both cluster nodes
    veritas admin guide states that only raw access is supported in a shared
    group with sun cluster.I dont know what this means
    how ever my shared global filesystem seem to be looking okay since last couple
    of days( made this few days back)

    Is there any issues running this configuration

    the sysadmin guide frm sun site for sun cluster 3.0 says though not specifically
    that global filesystem is okay on a shared and registered disk group on veritas
    contradicting and confising !!

    anyone has any thoughts???

    will be greatly appreciated

    thnx
    martin

  2. Re: sun cluster 3.0 global filesystem

    "martin" wrote:

    >i am using a share disk group on a two node sun cluster 3.0(solaris 8 +

    veritas
    >vol manager 3.2)
    >I made a volume in the shared group,did a newfs and mounted in with global
    >option so that this global filesystem can be seen from both cluster nodes
    >veritas admin guide states that only raw access is supported in a shared
    >group with sun cluster.I dont know what this means
    >how ever my shared global filesystem seem to be looking okay since last

    couple
    >of days( made this few days back)
    >
    >Is there any issues running this configuration
    >
    >the sysadmin guide frm sun site for sun cluster 3.0 says though not specifically
    >that global filesystem is okay on a shared and registered disk group on

    veritas
    >contradicting and confising !!
    >
    >anyone has any thoughts???
    >
    >will be greatly appreciated
    >
    >thnx
    >martin

    Hi Martin,

    In Sun Cluster 3, with globales devices, you don't access volume physicaly,
    you access it by kernel of node and sun cluster modules.... There is only
    a node which read and write physicaly on the global device.

    Example: A cluster with 2 nodes. (2 X E220R whith D2 array shared between
    its)
    - Node 1 has created fs and mounted it with "globaldevice" option in /global/XXXX
    - Node 2 by Sun Cluster function (Kernel + Modules) can read and write on
    this global filesystem like NFS transport...

    So, in Sun Cluster 3, you can't acces physicaly the same device, but you
    can logicaly ! (it's the globaldevice function)

    Regards,

    Adrien

  3. Re: sun cluster 3.0 global filesystem

    thats a good info on global file systems
    thxn adrien
    but my actual confusion was if filesystem is supported in veritas shared
    disk group
    i know that raw access is supported for shared disk groups but what abt filesystem
    access on shared disk groups in a shared disk group in veritas volume manager
    3.2

    thank you so much

    "Adrien HEBRARD" wrote:

    >"martin" wrote:
    >>
    >>i am using a share disk group on a two node sun cluster 3.0(solaris 8 +

    >veritas
    >>vol manager 3.2)
    >>I made a volume in the shared group,did a newfs and mounted in with global
    >>option so that this global filesystem can be seen from both cluster nodes
    >>veritas admin guide states that only raw access is supported in a shared
    >>group with sun cluster.I dont know what this means
    >>how ever my shared global filesystem seem to be looking okay since last

    >couple
    >>of days( made this few days back)
    >>
    >>Is there any issues running this configuration
    >>
    >>the sysadmin guide frm sun site for sun cluster 3.0 says though not specifically
    >>that global filesystem is okay on a shared and registered disk group on

    >veritas
    >>contradicting and confising !!
    >>
    >>anyone has any thoughts???
    >>
    >>will be greatly appreciated
    >>
    >>thnx
    >>martin

    >Hi Martin,
    >
    >In Sun Cluster 3, with globales devices, you don't access volume physicaly,
    >you access it by kernel of node and sun cluster modules.... There is only
    >a node which read and write physicaly on the global device.
    >
    >Example: A cluster with 2 nodes. (2 X E220R whith D2 array shared between
    >its)
    >- Node 1 has created fs and mounted it with "globaldevice" option in /global/XXXX
    >- Node 2 by Sun Cluster function (Kernel + Modules) can read and write on
    >this global filesystem like NFS transport...
    >
    >So, in Sun Cluster 3, you can't acces physicaly the same device, but you
    >can logicaly ! (it's the globaldevice function)
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Adrien

  4. Re: sun cluster 3.0 global filesystem

    > but my actual confusion was if filesystem is supported in veritas shared
    > disk group

    It is not. Shared filesystems where both nodes can access the devices
    simulatinous without going through the interconnect is supposedly a
    feature which will appear in Sun Cluster 3.1.

    > i know that raw access is supported for shared disk groups but what abt

    filesystem
    > access on shared disk groups in a shared disk group in veritas volume

    manager
    > 3.2

    Veritas Cluster with Veritas Cluster Filesystem should be able to do this,
    but I havenīt tried.

  5. Re: sun cluster 3.0 global filesystem

    Hi Martin,

    In SC3.0 the global mount option will mount the same filesystem on all
    member nodes at the same time, i.e. if you run df -k on all nodes you
    will see the same filesystems mounted. Only one node at a time will have
    the actual diskgroup imported and started. By means of the interconnect
    the other nodes will access the filesystem, i.e. there is only one
    master. If a resource group fails/is being switched to another node that
    node will be the master for the diskgroup. But keep in mind that all
    other nodes are sharing the interconnect so it can be congested with
    traffic.
    One of my customers is running SC3.0 with VxVM and VxFS and it works
    just great.

    /Peter

+ Reply to Thread