Upgrading VxVM from 3.x to 3.5 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Upgrading VxVM from 3.x to 3.5 - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, Has anyone had any experiences with upgrading volume manager from 3.1/2 versions to 3.5? Which method was used and how successful was it? (ie. upgrade_start/finish or newer pkgadd method?) Thanks in advance, J Berger...

  1. Upgrading VxVM from 3.x to 3.5

    Hi,

    Has anyone had any experiences with upgrading volume manager from 3.1/2 versions
    to 3.5? Which method was used and how successful was it? (ie. upgrade_start/finish
    or newer pkgadd method?)

    Thanks in advance,

    J Berger

  2. Re: Upgrading VxVM from 3.x to 3.5

    Hi,

    I did this successfully 2 weeks ago. I had a system with a mirrored root
    disk. I just did a vxunroot and rebooted to get the root disk back to
    Solaris control. Then I just deinstalled all VxVM 3.2 packages and
    installed VxVM 3.5 packages. Make sure the licenses are seen by the new
    license software, they have changed it into the common license routines
    for all Veritas products. I then ran vxinstall and encapsulated the root
    disk. I then reinitialized the old root mirror and mirrored the root
    disk. Done.
    Maybe this is not the best way to go but it worked without any problems.

    BR,
    Peter

    J Berger wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone had any experiences with upgrading volume manager from 3.1/2 versions
    > to 3.5? Which method was used and how successful was it? (ie. upgrade_start/finish
    > or newer pkgadd method?)
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > J Berger

  3. Re: Upgrading VxVM from 3.x to 3.5

    I've recently done both on two E4500 machines running Solaris 7. The
    first with the scripts went fine. Only problem was had to change
    permissions and group on about a dozen files. The other was a disaster.

    While doing the upgrade the disk with /opt went south and corrupted the
    root disk. I had to replace the drive and restore from tape. Couldn't
    get the upgrade script to run properly the second try and had to do
    pkgrm/pkgadd. It worked fine but with the same glitch with some file
    permissions. I would recommend the using the script if possible but the
    other works as well.

  4. Re: Upgrading VxVM from 3.x to 3.5

    Guys,

    Thanks for your feedback. I went ahead and used the newer 'pkgadd' technique
    as per the VxVM install guide with some tweaks, and upgraded a bunch of E10K
    domains and E4500's - no problem. It worked well, all with one reboot.

    Things of note:
    - The upgrade wanted specific Solaris8 patches before continuing
    - A custom package admin file must be used with the 'instance=overwrite'
    hack in it. This ensures that the newer Vx* pkgs replace the current Vx*
    pkgs - otherwise the pkgs will both exist w/ instance numbers appended to
    them! See technote titled 'How to upgrade to VERITAS Volume Manager (VxVM)
    3.5 without having multiple instances of VxVM packages (VRTSvxvm.2)' or search
    VxVM docs for 'instance=overwrite'

    - Upgrade all disk groups and filesystems with the new layout versions

    James Adams wrote:
    >I've recently done both on two E4500 machines running Solaris 7. The
    >first with the scripts went fine. Only problem was had to change
    >permissions and group on about a dozen files. The other was a disaster.
    >
    >While doing the upgrade the disk with /opt went south and corrupted the
    >root disk. I had to replace the drive and restore from tape. Couldn't
    >get the upgrade script to run properly the second try and had to do
    >pkgrm/pkgadd. It worked fine but with the same glitch with some file
    >permissions. I would recommend the using the script if possible but the
    >other works as well.

+ Reply to Thread