deciphering output of vxdg -ht free - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on deciphering output of vxdg -ht free - Veritas Volume Manager ; What does the offset and and length mean. Offset relative to the beginning of the public region? Is that how much space is used and length is how much is available? Thanks in Advance!!!...

  1. deciphering output of vxdg -ht free

    What does the offset and and length mean. Offset relative to the beginning
    of the public region? Is that how much space is used and length is how much
    is available?

    Thanks in Advance!!!

  2. Re: deciphering output of vxdg -ht free

    Offset means from where your subdisks starts relative to the begning of
    public region and length is the size of the subdisk or volume in sectors

    Simer

    "Bill Read" wrote:
    >What does the offset and and length mean. Offset relative to the beginning
    >of the public region? Is that how much space is used and length is how

    much
    >is available?
    >
    >Thanks in Advance!!!

  3. Re: deciphering output of vxdg -ht free

    Thanks Simer-is there a way to show how much free space available in a
    volume group? I'm trying to find the way to do via command line.

    "Simer" wrote in message news:3d6f78a5$1@hronntp01....

    > Offset means from where your subdisks starts relative to the begning of
    > public region and length is the size of the subdisk or volume in sectors
    >
    > Simer
    >
    > "Bill Read" wrote:
    > >What does the offset and and length mean. Offset relative to the

    beginning
    > >of the public region? Is that how much space is used and length is how

    > much
    > >is available?
    > >
    > >Thanks in Advance!!!

  4. Re: deciphering output of vxdg -ht free

    Bill

    Vxdg -g free

    or vxdg free (for all DG's)

    Simer

    "Bill Read" wrote:
    >Thanks Simer-is there a way to show how much free space available in a
    >volume group? I'm trying to find the way to do via command line.
    >
    >"Simer" wrote in message news:3d6f78a5$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> Offset means from where your subdisks starts relative to the begning of
    >> public region and length is the size of the subdisk or volume in sectors
    >>
    >> Simer
    >>
    >> "Bill Read" wrote:
    >> >What does the offset and and length mean. Offset relative to the

    >beginning
    >> >of the public region? Is that how much space is used and length is how

    >> much
    >> >is available?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in Advance!!!

  5. Re: deciphering output of vxdg -ht free

    On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Simer wrote:

    > Bill
    >
    > Vxdg -g free
    >
    > or vxdg free (for all DG's)
    >

    > Simer
    >
    > "Bill Read" wrote:
    > >Thanks Simer-is there a way to show how much free space available in a
    > >volume group? I'm trying to find the way to do via command line.
    > >
    > >"Simer" wrote in message news:3d6f78a5$1@hronntp01....
    > >>
    > >> Offset means from where your subdisks starts relative to the begning of
    > >> public region and length is the size of the subdisk or volume in sectors

    How do I know how big a sector is? (I am guessing this varies
    with specific device-type/model).

    Thank you.

    --
    mike@ellwoods.org.uk