help : vxrestore - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on help : vxrestore - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, I'm new to veritas and sorry if this case have been posted before. I have run vxrestore and received responses as follows : # vxrestore if /dev/rmt/0n vxfs vxrestore: Tape is not a vxdump tape # vxrestore if /dev/rmt/0n ...

  1. help : vxrestore

    Hi,
    I'm new to veritas and sorry if this case have been posted before.
    I have run vxrestore and received responses as follows :

    # vxrestore if /dev/rmt/0n
    vxfs vxrestore: Tape is not a vxdump tape

    # vxrestore if /dev/rmt/0n
    vxfs vxrestore: tape read error: Error 0

    For the 1st message, Tape is not a vxdump tape, I have tried to use
    ufsrestore instead but still gave me the similar result - Volume is not in
    dump format. However, it's a dump tape.

    What do they mean and how to deal with them ?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: help : vxrestore

    you may try
    mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf 1

    Fast forward the tape to the vxvolume..
    Ex. if you backup / & /var ufsdump and /test vxdump
    mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf 2
    vxrestore -if /dev/rmt/0n

    Hope this helps.

    "vicky" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm new to veritas and sorry if this case have been posted before.
    > I have run vxrestore and received responses as follows :
    >
    > # vxrestore if /dev/rmt/0n
    > vxfs vxrestore: Tape is not a vxdump tape
    >
    > # vxrestore if /dev/rmt/0n
    > vxfs vxrestore: tape read error: Error 0
    >
    > For the 1st message, Tape is not a vxdump tape, I have tried to use
    > ufsrestore instead but still gave me the similar result - Volume is not in
    > dump format. However, it's a dump tape.
    >
    > What do they mean and how to deal with them ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread