storage checkpoint question - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on storage checkpoint question - Veritas Volume Manager ; hello, i have a need to continually change a file system back to its original version. basically, i'm looking for an ability to undo approximately 5 gb worth of changes on a 50 gb file system... i was thinking of ...

  1. storage checkpoint question

    hello,

    i have a need to continually change a file system back to its original
    version. basically, i'm looking for an ability to undo approximately 5 gb
    worth of changes on a 50 gb file system...

    i was thinking of using veritas file system's checkpoint feature to do so.
    i'd size the volume at 60 gb and when needed would roll back to the
    checkpoint created in the beginning. however, from examining all the
    options for the fsckptadm command it doesn't seem like it is possible. i'm
    able to mount the checkpoint but not roll back the main file system to it.

    veritas support is suggesting copying contents of the mounted checkpoint to
    the main mounted file system and then deleting and recreating the
    checkpoint. that approach would work, but would require over 100gb of
    space. i may as well have a mirror which i would resync from.

    has anyone encountered this problem? it seems like the technology behind
    veritas' storage checkpoints is ideally suited for this except that the
    rollback feature is missing.

    all and any help would be greatly appreciated...

    sincerely,
    boris dank

  2. Re: storage checkpoint question

    Hi Boris,

    I've heard of a product called storage rollback included in veritas database
    edition.
    The description sounds like it's all you need to solve your problem...

    Greetings,

    -- Mirko

    "Boris Dank" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > hello,
    >
    > i have a need to continually change a file system back to its original
    > version. basically, i'm looking for an ability to undo approximately 5 gb
    > worth of changes on a 50 gb file system...
    >
    > i was thinking of using veritas file system's checkpoint feature to do so.
    > i'd size the volume at 60 gb and when needed would roll back to the
    > checkpoint created in the beginning. however, from examining all the
    > options for the fsckptadm command it doesn't seem like it is possible.

    i'm
    > able to mount the checkpoint but not roll back the main file system to it.
    >
    > veritas support is suggesting copying contents of the mounted checkpoint

    > the main mounted file system and then deleting and recreating the
    > checkpoint. that approach would work, but would require over 100gb of
    > space. i may as well have a mirror which i would resync from.
    >
    > has anyone encountered this problem? it seems like the technology behind
    > veritas' storage checkpoints is ideally suited for this except that the
    > rollback feature is missing.
    >
    > all and any help would be greatly appreciated...
    >
    > sincerely,
    > boris dank

  3. Re: storage checkpoint question

    Mirko,

    thank you for you response. You're indeed correct in pointing me towards
    "storage rollbackup," as it is described in the document below. However,
    according to that doc, it is adminstered using the vxdba utility and is done
    at the database level. I'm looking to do this at the file system level...

    Boris

    "Mirko Schlottke" wrote in message
    > Hi Boris,
    >
    > I've heard of a product called storage rollback included in veritas

    database
    > edition.
    > The description sounds like it's all you need to solve your problem...
    >
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233264.htm
    >

    > Greetings,
    >
    > -- Mirko
    >

    > "Boris Dank" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > hello,
    > >
    > > i have a need to continually change a file system back to its original
    > > version. basically, i'm looking for an ability to undo approximately 5

    gb
    > > worth of changes on a 50 gb file system...
    > >
    > > i was thinking of using veritas file system's checkpoint feature to do

    so.
    > > i'd size the volume at 60 gb and when needed would roll back to the
    > > checkpoint created in the beginning. however, from examining all the
    > > options for the fsckptadm command it doesn't seem like it is possible.

    > i'm
    > > able to mount the checkpoint but not roll back the main file system to

    it.

    > > veritas support is suggesting copying contents of the mounted checkpoint

    > > the main mounted file system and then deleting and recreating the
    > > checkpoint. that approach would work, but would require over 100gb of
    > > space. i may as well have a mirror which i would resync from.
    > >
    > > has anyone encountered this problem? it seems like the technology

    behind
    > > veritas' storage checkpoints is ideally suited for this except that the
    > > rollback feature is missing.
    > >
    > > all and any help would be greatly appreciated...
    > >
    > > sincerely,
    > > boris dank

+ Reply to Thread