UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC - 3.0.3 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC - 3.0.3 - Veritas Volume Manager ; Am running Solaris 7 and Volume Manager 3.0.3. I recently had a power failure to the servre and when the server was booted it gave the error:- File loaded does not appear to be executable tried various solutions to this ...

  1. UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC - 3.0.3

    Am running Solaris 7 and Volume Manager 3.0.3.
    I recently had a power failure to the servre and when the server was booted
    it gave the error:-

    File loaded does not appear to be executable

    tried various solutions to this with no avail, couldn't fsck or mount!

    So I replaced the disk with a new one after booting successfully onto the
    mirrored rootdisk.

    But when trying to add this disk in as a replacement I got the following
    error (used vxdiskadm):-

    Instead of encapsulating, initialize? [y,n,q,?] (default: n) y

    The requested operation is to initialize disk device c0t0d0 and
    to then use that device to replace the removed or failed disk
    rootdisk in disk group rootdg.

    Continue with operation? [y,n,q,?] (default: y) y
    UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    dd: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0: open: I/O error
    UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC

    Replacement of disk rootdisk in group rootdg with disk device
    c0t0d0 completed successfully.

    Replace another disk? [y,n,q,?] (default: n)

    The new disk was then added etc successfully and the mirror appeared to recover
    successfully - no errors we're reported by
    VolumeManager when mirror complete and all looks ok.

    But still when we boot off this disk we get the same error

    File loaded does not appear to be executable

    I have seen various patches for Version 3.0.4 + that relate to the error
    UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC but nothing for the version 3.0.3 that
    I am running.

    Does anyone know of a solution/patch for my version?
    I appreciate that i need to update Volume Manager as it is some versions
    behind, but it is not convienient to do so at present as downtime is an issue,
    so am looking for a fix for this error.

    I am presuming that the Solaris boot error IS related to the Veritas one
    - unless you can tell me otherwise.
    Any help greatfully appreciated.

    Thanks
    Rich

  2. Re: UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC - 3.0.3

    Richard Smith wrote:

    > Am running Solaris 7 and Volume Manager 3.0.3.
    > I recently had a power failure to the servre and when the server was booted
    > it gave the error:-
    >
    > File loaded does not appear to be executable
    >
    > tried various solutions to this with no avail, couldn't fsck or mount!
    >
    > So I replaced the disk with a new one after booting successfully onto the
    > mirrored rootdisk.
    >
    > But when trying to add this disk in as a replacement I got the following
    > error (used vxdiskadm):-

    > Instead of encapsulating, initialize? [y,n,q,?] (default: n) y
    >
    > The requested operation is to initialize disk device c0t0d0 and
    > to then use that device to replace the removed or failed disk
    > rootdisk in disk group rootdg.
    >
    > Continue with operation? [y,n,q,?] (default: y) y
    > UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    > UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    > dd: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0: open: I/O error
    > UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    >
    > Replacement of disk rootdisk in group rootdg with disk device
    > c0t0d0 completed successfully.
    >
    > Replace another disk? [y,n,q,?] (default: n)
    >
    > The new disk was then added etc successfully and the mirror appeared to recover
    > successfully - no errors we're reported by
    > VolumeManager when mirror complete and all looks ok.
    >
    > But still when we boot off this disk we get the same error
    >
    > File loaded does not appear to be executable
    >
    > I have seen various patches for Version 3.0.4 + that relate to the error
    > UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC but nothing for the version 3.0.3 that
    > I am running.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a solution/patch for my version?
    > I appreciate that i need to update Volume Manager as it is some versions
    > behind, but it is not convienient to do so at present as downtime is an issue,
    > so am looking for a fix for this error.
    >
    > I am presuming that the Solaris boot error IS related to the Veritas one
    > - unless you can tell me otherwise.
    > Any help greatfully appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Rich

    Hi Rich,

    I am not an expert yet to imagine the correct reason for your problem, just giving
    my ideas...

    Your problem first started with "file loaded does not appear to be executable"
    while booting after a power failure. I think this error is related to Solaris, not
    the Veritas. A search for the error in Sunsolve can give you good start. My guess
    is that the root file system (or its components) is corrupted because of the power
    failure. For example, the bootblk record, the VTOC which resides on the first few
    blocks of a disk, or the kernel could be corrupted.

    After you replaced the failed disk with a new one, vxdiskadm gave you the error
    about VTOC. I doubt that the disk is not formatted (or labled) before using
    vxdiskadm. While initializing a disk, Veritas reads the existing VTOC and store
    that in some other place. What is format command saying? Are you able to see the
    partition map of the disk using format? Anyhow, Veritas succeeded initializing the
    disk and the volumes were mirrored again.

    Veritas and UFS are aware of the first few blocks on a disk where the VTOC is
    stored. So mirroring volumes don't mirror the VTOC. Also the 'bootblk' record. I
    think you have to install the bootblk again on the disk, I am not sure here.

    My opinion is that your problem is related to Solaris.

    Regards,
    Praveen.

  3. Re: UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC - 3.0.3

    Praveen Tummala wrote:
    . I doubt that the disk is not formatted (or labled) before using
    >vxdiskadm. While initializing a disk, Veritas reads the existing VTOC and

    store
    >that in some other place. What is format command saying? Are you able to

    see the
    >partition map of the disk using format? Anyhow, Veritas succeeded initializing

    the
    >disk and the volumes were mirrored again.
    >
    >Veritas and UFS are aware of the first few blocks on a disk where the VTOC

    is
    >stored. So mirroring volumes don't mirror the VTOC. Also the 'bootblk' record.

    >think you have to install the bootblk again on the disk, I am not sure here.
    >
    >My opinion is that your problem is related to Solaris.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Praveen.

    Thanks.... But
    it labels fine with format, i have also wrote a new VTOC through Solaris
    with fmthard successfully !!!
    Also veritas has successfully mirrored the data onto it, but seems to be
    having problems with the boot sector
    which leaves me most confused.....

    I have already replaced the orignal disk with a new one direct from Sun

    Rich

  4. ** SOLUTION ** Re: UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC - 3.0.3

    Just to inform any of you that offered me help and for the record I have obtained
    a solution, from Veritas that fixed my orignal problem.
    Thanks for all who offered me help....
    and to Elias Haddad who sorted it

    Rich

    Symptom:
    Volume Manager error UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    Solution:
    This error can occur while using vxbootsetup, vxdiskadm (initializing),
    labeling a disk, etc.

    The requested operation is to initialize disk device c0t0d0 and
    to then use that device to replace the removed or failed disk
    rootdisk in disk group rootdg.
    Continue with operation? [y,n,q,?] (default: y)

    UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    dd: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0: open: I/O error
    UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC

    /etc/vx/bin/vxbootsetup rootdisk
    UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    dd: /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0: open: I/O error
    UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC

    Please find below the detailed procedure for remirroring your primary
    systems disk [c0t0d0]:

    Make sure system is bootable off mirrored disk.
    1. Disassociate all mirrors located on c0t0d0:
    vxplex dis opt-01 rootvol-01 swapvol-01 usr-01 var-01
    2. Remove disassociated plexes:
    vxedit -rf rm opt-01 rootvol-01 swapvol-01 usr-01 var-01
    3. Remove disk from rootdg:
    vxdg rmdisk rootdisk
    4. Remove disk out of Volume manager control:
    vxdisk rm c0t0d0s2
    5. Format disk, zero out all partitions exept part. 2 and write new label:
    format -> c0t0d0s2 -> part -> zero out all partions exept part 2.
    label
    6. Check newly written partition table with prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2:
    Only partition 2 [s2] should be visible.
    7. Bring c0t0d0 under volume manager control:
    /etc/vx/bin/vxdisksetup -i c0t0d0
    8. Add disk to rootdg:
    vxdg -g rootdg adddisk rootdisk=c0t0d0
    9. Check that c0t0d0 is member of rootdg:
    vxdisk list
    10. Mirror rootvol:
    /etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir rootdisk
    11. Check result:
    vxprint -ht
    12. Check that all Volume manager tasks have finished:
    vxtask list
    13. Shutdown system
    14. Boot off c0t0d0
    15. If successful, mirror the rest of systems disk one partition at the
    time:
    command line [swap, /usr, /var, /opt]
    16. Check result:
    vxprint -ht and vxtask list
    17. Once all volume manager tasks have finished, shutdown the system and
    boot off c0t0d0.

  5. Re: ** SOLUTION ** Re: UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC - 3.0.3

    Thank you Rich, for the solution.

    Richard Smith wrote:

    > Just to inform any of you that offered me help and for the record I have obtained
    > a solution, from Veritas that fixed my orignal problem.
    > Thanks for all who offered me help....
    > and to Elias Haddad who sorted it
    >
    > Rich
    >
    > Symptom:
    > Volume Manager error UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    > Solution:
    > This error can occur while using vxbootsetup, vxdiskadm (initializing),
    > labeling a disk, etc.
    >
    > The requested operation is to initialize disk device c0t0d0 and
    > to then use that device to replace the removed or failed disk
    > rootdisk in disk group rootdg.
    > Continue with operation? [y,n,q,?] (default: y)
    >
    > UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    > dd: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0: open: I/O error
    > UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    > UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    >
    > /etc/vx/bin/vxbootsetup rootdisk
    > UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    > dd: /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0: open: I/O error
    > UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC
    >
    > Please find below the detailed procedure for remirroring your primary
    > systems disk [c0t0d0]:
    >
    > Make sure system is bootable off mirrored disk.
    > 1. Disassociate all mirrors located on c0t0d0:
    > vxplex dis opt-01 rootvol-01 swapvol-01 usr-01 var-01
    > 2. Remove disassociated plexes:
    > vxedit -rf rm opt-01 rootvol-01 swapvol-01 usr-01 var-01
    > 3. Remove disk from rootdg:
    > vxdg rmdisk rootdisk
    > 4. Remove disk out of Volume manager control:
    > vxdisk rm c0t0d0s2
    > 5. Format disk, zero out all partitions exept part. 2 and write new label:
    > format -> c0t0d0s2 -> part -> zero out all partions exept part 2.
    > label
    > 6. Check newly written partition table with prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2:
    > Only partition 2 [s2] should be visible.
    > 7. Bring c0t0d0 under volume manager control:
    > /etc/vx/bin/vxdisksetup -i c0t0d0
    > 8. Add disk to rootdg:
    > vxdg -g rootdg adddisk rootdisk=c0t0d0
    > 9. Check that c0t0d0 is member of rootdg:
    > vxdisk list
    > 10. Mirror rootvol:
    > /etc/vx/bin/vxrootmir rootdisk
    > 11. Check result:
    > vxprint -ht
    > 12. Check that all Volume manager tasks have finished:
    > vxtask list
    > 13. Shutdown system
    > 14. Boot off c0t0d0
    > 15. If successful, mirror the rest of systems disk one partition at the
    > time:
    > command line [swap, /usr, /var, /opt]
    > 16. Check result:
    > vxprint -ht and vxtask list
    > 17. Once all volume manager tasks have finished, shutdown the system and
    > boot off c0t0d0.

  6. ** SOLUTION ** Re: UNKNOWN ERROR WHILE WRITTING VTOC - 3.0.3

    The solution you have described is not acceptable for my needs. Is there a
    better solution? A solution that makes an initialized disk (containing valid
    sub-disks of rootvol) a bootable disk by using a command such as vxbootsetup?
    What is the reason that vxbootsetup fails while writing the VTOC? It looks
    like a problem for which there should be a simple solution.
    I think the lowest level command vxpartadd is failing.