VXDISK LIST output !!! - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on VXDISK LIST output !!! - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi. Everybody. The exact scenario is as follows : Two of my disks failed yesterday. Veritas was showing their state as disabled. I used the option "Remove disk for replacement"from the vxidskadm menu and removed them. After that i installed ...

  1. VXDISK LIST output !!!

    Hi. Everybody.

    The exact scenario is as follows :

    Two of my disks failed yesterday. Veritas was showing their state as disabled.

    I used the option "Remove disk for replacement"from the vxidskadm menu and
    removed them.
    After that i installed the new hard-disks.

    And then gave the "vxdctl enable" command.
    After that i used the "Replace disk option" from the vxdiskadm menu , but
    at that time veritas popped up an error with regards to the harddisk.
    Veritas was not able to replace the disk.

    So the sun engineer again removed the disk from the array and inserted it
    back.
    After that he again gave the "vxdctl enable "command.
    The "Replace disk"option was used from the vxidiskadm menu, and veritas replaced
    the disks without any error.

    But still the output from the "vxdisk list" command give the following output
    :

    DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS
    c0t0d0s2 sliced rootdisk rootdg online
    c0t1d0s2 sliced rootmirror rootdg online
    c1t0d0s2 sliced appldg01 appldg online nohotuse
    c1t1d0s2 sliced appldg06 appldg online nohotuse
    c1t2d0s2 sliced appldg07 appldg online nohotuse
    c1t3d0s2 sliced appldg08 appldg online nohotuse
    c1t4d0s2 sliced appldg09 appldg online nohotuse
    c1t5d0s2 sliced appldg10 appldg error nohotuse
    c1t5d0s2 sliced - - error
    c1t5d0s2 sliced - - error
    c1t8d0s2 sliced appldg11 appldg online nohotuse
    c1t9d0s2 sliced appldg12 appldg error nohotuse
    c1t9d0s2 sliced - - error
    c1t9d0s2 sliced - - error
    c1t10d0s2 sliced appldg02 appldg online nohotuse
    c1t11d0s2 sliced appldg03 appldg online nohotuse
    c1t12d0s2 sliced appldg04 appldg online nohotuse
    c1t13d0s2 sliced newswap rootdg online
    c2t0d0s2 sliced appldg13 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t1d0s2 sliced appldg18 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t2d0s2 sliced appldg19 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t3d0s2 sliced appldg20 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t4d0s2 sliced appldg21 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t5d0s2 sliced appldg22 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t8d0s2 sliced appldg23 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t9d0s2 sliced appldg24 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t10d0s2 sliced appldg14 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t11d0s2 sliced appldg15 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t12d0s2 sliced appldg16 appldg online nohotuse
    c2t13d0s2 sliced newswapmir rootdg online

    It is showing 3 entries for the disks c1t5d0s2 and c1t9d0s2, whereas it should
    be only one.

    Also , in the vmsa window, it is showing the status of the 2 hard-disks as
    "NOT SETUP".

    But if we see the layout of the mirrored volumes, of which 1 volume lies
    on each of the new disks, it doesnt show any error.
    Both the mirrors are shown live and correct. Also it doesnt show any "red
    mark" for the volumes which lie on these hard-disks.

    The sun guy is telling that this is a bug and they will revert back.

    Can anybody help me out in this case.

    thanx in advance.,

    regards,

    Ajit Mahajan
    Solaris Systems Administrator
    Fortis Bank , Woerden.
    The Netherlands.
    Email: ajit.mahajan@nl.fortisbank.com
    Phone: 0031-30-2574928

  2. Re: VXDISK LIST output !!!

    This is a known bug under vxvm3.1

    Try the latest patch for vxvm3.1 (Patch05)
    or call VRTS support and ask for the download links for vxvm3.1.1. Be sure
    to ask for link for VXVM3.1.1P02, which bundles in vmsa3.1.1P01 also.

    This is a common problem. Don't lose sleep over it.

    Chris.

    "Ajit" wrote:

> [...]

    >c2t11d0s2 sliced appldg15 appldg online nohotuse
    >c2t12d0s2 sliced appldg16 appldg online nohotuse
    >c2t13d0s2 sliced newswapmir rootdg online
    >
    >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >It is showing 3 entries for the disks c1t5d0s2 and c1t9d0s2, whereas it

    should
    >be only one.
    >
    >Also , in the vmsa window, it is showing the status of the 2 hard-disks

    as
    >"NOT SETUP".
    >
    >But if we see the layout of the mirrored volumes, of which 1 volume lies
    >on each of the new disks, it doesnt show any error.
    >Both the mirrors are shown live and correct. Also it doesnt show any "red
    >mark" for the volumes which lie on these hard-disks.
    >
    >The sun guy is telling that this is a bug and they will revert back.

  3. Re: VXDISK LIST output !!!

    You will find that each time you perform vxdctl enable you'll get a new entry
    for each of these disks. Go ahaead and try it. I've had this a few times,
    and it's nearly always caused by replacing a disk.

    I've logged several calls with both Sun and Veritas about this. The advice
    is always re-booting.

    Re-booting will fix it - but it;s not really the answer.

    Hope this helps

    Ross

    "Chris" wrote:

> [...]

    >>c2t11d0s2 sliced appldg15 appldg online nohotuse
    >>c2t12d0s2 sliced appldg16 appldg online nohotuse
    >>c2t13d0s2 sliced newswapmir rootdg online
    >>
    >>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>It is showing 3 entries for the disks c1t5d0s2 and c1t9d0s2, whereas it

    >should
    >>be only one.
    >>
    >>Also , in the vmsa window, it is showing the status of the 2 hard-disks

    >as
    >>"NOT SETUP".
    >>
    >>But if we see the layout of the mirrored volumes, of which 1 volume lies
    >>on each of the new disks, it doesnt show any error.
    >>Both the mirrors are shown live and correct. Also it doesnt show any "red
    >>mark" for the volumes which lie on these hard-disks.
    >>
    >>The sun guy is telling that this is a bug and they will revert back.

+ Reply to Thread