Jumpstart VRTSvmsa 3.1.1,REV=02.10.2001.07.42 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Jumpstart VRTSvmsa 3.1.1,REV=02.10.2001.07.42 - Veritas Volume Manager ; We use jumpstart to install our build our systems. In a post install script Veritas VxVM VXFS and VMSA are installed. In past versions of these packages I could get them to work in the jumpstart. Now with VMSA 3.1.1 ...

  1. Jumpstart VRTSvmsa 3.1.1,REV=02.10.2001.07.42

    We use jumpstart to install our build our systems. In a post install script
    Veritas VxVM VXFS and VMSA are installed. In past versions of these packages
    I could get them to work in the jumpstart. Now with VMSA 3.1.1 during install
    it asks every time:

    --- snip ---
    The selected base directory must exist before
    installation is attempted.

    Do you want this directory created now [y,n,?,q]
    --- snip ---

    I have to hit 'y' for it to continue. Here is my admin file:
    mail=
    instance=overwrite
    partial=nocheck
    runlevel=nocheck
    idepend=nocheck
    rdepend=nocheck
    space=quit
    setuid=nocheck
    conflict=nocheck
    action=nocheck
    basedir=default

    Here's my Veritas VMSA response file:
    BASEDIR=/opt/VRTSvmsa
    CLIENT_BASEDIR=/opt/VRTSvmsa
    CLASSES=none jre cliserv server client
    URL=

    Am I missing anything? Thanks.

    Ryan Wyler
    American Express

  2. Re: Jumpstart VRTSvmsa 3.1.1,REV=02.10.2001.07.42

    I had the same problem. I just added this to my Finish script before the pkgadd
    of VMSA.

    if [ ! -d ${BASEDIR}/opt/VRTSvmsa ]; then
    mkdir ${BASEDIR}/opt/VRTSvmsa
    fi

    "Ryan Wyler" wrote:

    >We use jumpstart to install our build our systems. In a post install script
    >Veritas VxVM VXFS and VMSA are installed. In past versions of these packages
    >I could get them to work in the jumpstart. Now with VMSA 3.1.1 during install
    >it asks every time:
    >
    >--- snip ---
    >The selected base directory must exist before
    >installation is attempted.
    >
    >Do you want this directory created now [y,n,?,q]
    >--- snip ---
    >
    >I have to hit 'y' for it to continue. Here is my admin file:
    >mail=
    >instance=overwrite
    >partial=nocheck
    >runlevel=nocheck
    >idepend=nocheck
    >rdepend=nocheck
    >space=quit
    >setuid=nocheck
    >conflict=nocheck
    >action=nocheck
    >basedir=default
    >
    >Here's my Veritas VMSA response file:
    >BASEDIR=/opt/VRTSvmsa
    >CLIENT_BASEDIR=/opt/VRTSvmsa
    >CLASSES=none jre cliserv server client
    >URL=
    >
    >Am I missing anything? Thanks.
    >
    >Ryan Wyler
    >American Express

  3. Re: Jumpstart VRTSvmsa 3.1.1,REV=02.10.2001.07.42

    Hi Ryan,

    There is a problem in the VMSA packaging. Officially Veritas is not
    supporting the jump start for solaris. I think we need to ask ( RFE )
    veritas to make all VRTS packages as jumpstart complaint.

    I will keep you posted as sson as i hev more info.

    Thanks,
    Prasad Gondi

    Ryan Wyler wrote in message

    > We use jumpstart to install our build our systems. In a post install

    script
    > Veritas VxVM VXFS and VMSA are installed. In past versions of these

    packages
    > I could get them to work in the jumpstart. Now with VMSA 3.1.1 during

    install
    > it asks every time:
    >
    > --- snip ---
    > The selected base directory must exist before
    > installation is attempted.
    >
    > Do you want this directory created now [y,n,?,q]
    > --- snip ---
    >
    > I have to hit 'y' for it to continue. Here is my admin file:
    > mail=
    > instance=overwrite
    > partial=nocheck
    > runlevel=nocheck
    > idepend=nocheck
    > rdepend=nocheck
    > space=quit
    > setuid=nocheck
    > conflict=nocheck
    > action=nocheck
    > basedir=default
    >
    > Here's my Veritas VMSA response file:
    > BASEDIR=/opt/VRTSvmsa
    > CLIENT_BASEDIR=/opt/VRTSvmsa
    > CLASSES=none jre cliserv server client
    > URL=
    >
    > Am I missing anything? Thanks.
    >
    > Ryan Wyler
    > American Express

  4. Re: Jumpstart VRTSvmsa 3.1.1,REV=02.10.2001.07.42

    VMSA and VXVM both have difficulties with jumpstart requiring more than just
    pkgask admin files. Many people workaround it by writing a wrapper script
    piping in 'y' or whatever, and doing the install in a postinstall script.

    There are RFE's submitted for this improvement.

    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread