HELP: Rootdg cannot be imported during boot - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on HELP: Rootdg cannot be imported during boot - Veritas Volume Manager ; Any help would be greatly appreciated. First off, we realize that we can't remove the last disk from rootdg and that rootdg must exist. Therefore, in the past, we assigned a non-root disk to rootdg to satisfy that requirement. Our ...

  1. HELP: Rootdg cannot be imported during boot

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    First off, we realize that we can't remove the last disk from rootdg and
    that rootdg must exist. Therefore, in the past, we assigned a non-root disk
    to rootdg to satisfy that requirement. Our boot disk is not managed by vxvm.

    Everything was working fine until we need some more space. We have two
    unused disks - c1t2 and c1t3. Being clever (so we thought) and adventurous
    engineers, we decided to add these two unused disks to rootdg to make a
    large volume -- after all, why waste that one disk in rootdg right. In the
    process, we reformatted the three disks (the existing one in rootdg and the
    two that we wanted to add to rootdg) so that it only has one slice (slice 2)
    which is the whole disk. That was when vmsa hung. We rebooted the system and
    got the following error messages

    ******
    VxVM starting in boot mode...
    vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: enable failed: Error in disk group configuration
    copies
    No valid disk found containing disk group; transactions are
    disabled.
    vxvm:vxconfigd: FATAL ERROR: Rootdg cannot be imported during boot
    configuring IPv4 interfaces: hme0.

    Configuring /dev and /devices
    $Id: lus_sol.c,v 6.11 1998/06/16 21:48:06 ranjit Exp $ Copyright (C) 1996,
    Legat
    o Systems, Inc
    Configuring the /dev directory (compatibility devices)
    Re-generating rdriver.conf file ...
    Configuring the RAID devices
    VxVM general startup...
    vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: enable failed: Error in disk group configuration
    copies
    No valid disk found containing disk group; transactions are
    disabled.
    vxvm: Vold is not enabled for transactions
    No volumes started
    vxvm:vxconfigd: ERROR: enable failed: Error in disk group configuration
    copies
    No valid disk found containing disk group; transactions are
    disabled.
    The system is coming up. Please wait.
    checking ufs filesystems
    /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s4: is clean.
    /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s7: is clean.

    blah blah

    Array Monitor initiated
    RDAC daemons initiated
    Aug 6 10:39:52 defiant rdriver: ID[RAIDarray.rdaemon.1001] RDAC Resolution
    Daem
    on locked in memory
    volume management starting.
    starting NetWorker daemons:
    nsrexecd

    nsrd

    vxvm:vxrecover: ERROR: IPC failure: Configuration daemon is not accessible
    Aug 6 10:39:51 defiant last message repeated 1 time
    Aug 6 10:39:58 defiant root: Legato Storage Manager Server: (notice)
    started
    VxVM daemon not enabled, VERITAS VM Storage Administrator VM server cannot
    be st
    arted.
    The system is ready.
    ******
    We also tried the following

    # vxdisk list | grep rootdg
    vxvm:vxdisk: ERROR: Cannot get records from vxconfigd: Record not in disk
    group
    # vxprint -ht -g rootdg
    vxvm:vxprint: ERROR: Disk group rootdg: No such disk group

    ******

    So far, we have tried the following. We have removed the other vxvm volumes
    from /etc/vfstab. We have rebooted with -r.

    Can anybody point out
    - what we did wrong
    - what we should do next
    - how to recover (the system and our ego)

    If you want to talk to us directly, you can call me on my cell at
    617-320-5965.

    TIA
    Bernie

  2. Re: Rootdg cannot be imported during boot

    CLOSED

    We had to vxinstall again. Luckily our rootdg was non-data/non-root disk.

    "Bernie Wong" wrote in message
> [...]

    > be st
    > arted.
    > The system is ready.

    > ******
    > We also tried the following
    >
    > # vxdisk list | grep rootdg
    > vxvm:vxdisk: ERROR: Cannot get records from vxconfigd: Record not in disk
    > group
    > # vxprint -ht -g rootdg
    > vxvm:vxprint: ERROR: Disk group rootdg: No such disk group

    > ******
    >
    > So far, we have tried the following. We have removed the other vxvm

    volumes
    > from /etc/vfstab. We have rebooted with -r.
    >
    > Can anybody point out
    > - what we did wrong
    > - what we should do next
    > - how to recover (the system and our ego)
    >
    > If you want to talk to us directly, you can call me on my cell at

  3. Re: HELP: Rootdg cannot be imported during boot

    For the repository info i am sending this email.

    When you reformated the disk, which contains the rootdg information in the
    private region of the disk ( slice with tag 14 ) was gone. I think all the
    disks ( 3 disks ) was formatted so for VM there is no config information
    left on the disks to check up on reboot. Thats why you got the error that
    there is no valid config copy. VM is storing all the config information on
    the private region ( tab 14 ) on the disk.

    To restore the system back to the original state please identify the
    original disk which contains the rootdg config copy and initialize the
    rootdg on that disk again.

    #vxdg init rootdg disk01=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 likt this.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks,
    Prasad Gondi

> [...]

    > be st
    > arted.
    > The system is ready.

    > ******
    > We also tried the following
    >
    > # vxdisk list | grep rootdg
    > vxvm:vxdisk: ERROR: Cannot get records from vxconfigd: Record not in disk
    > group
    > # vxprint -ht -g rootdg
    > vxvm:vxprint: ERROR: Disk group rootdg: No such disk group

    > ******
    >
    > So far, we have tried the following. We have removed the other vxvm

    volumes
    > from /etc/vfstab. We have rebooted with -r.
    >
    > Can anybody point out
    > - what we did wrong
    > - what we should do next
    > - how to recover (the system and our ego)
    >
    > If you want to talk to us directly, you can call me on my cell at

+ Reply to Thread