vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found - Veritas Volume Manager ; We wanted to upgrade Solaris 2.6 with VXVM 2.5.3 to Solaris 8 (new installation) and VXVM 3.1.1. There was a disk group named kursdg which we deported under 2.6/2.5.3 Then we did a new installation of Solaris 8 and VXVM ...

  1. vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found

    We wanted to upgrade Solaris 2.6 with VXVM 2.5.3 to Solaris 8 (new installation)
    and VXVM 3.1.1.
    There was a disk group named kursdg which we deported under 2.6/2.5.3
    Then we did a new installation of Solaris 8 and VXVM 3.1.1
    With the new configuration we tried to import to old kursdg disk group and
    got the following error:
    vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found
    It was not possible to import the old disk group.
    Even a reinstallation of a minimal 2.6/2.5.3 system could not reimport the
    old disk group.
    One disk of the disk group was accidently overwritten within the Sol.8/3.1.1
    installation.
    Is there any chance to get the disk group running?

    What steps are recommended to do a take a disk group from vxvm 2.5.3 over
    into a new Sol.8/vxvm3.1.1 system?

    Any comments welcome.

  2. Re: vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found

    "Bernhard" wrote:

    >We wanted to upgrade Solaris 2.6 with VXVM 2.5.3 to Solaris 8 (new installation)
    >and VXVM 3.1.1.
    >There was a disk group named kursdg which we deported under 2.6/2.5.3
    >Then we did a new installation of Solaris 8 and VXVM 3.1.1
    >With the new configuration we tried to import to old kursdg disk group and
    >got the following error:
    >vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found
    >It was not possible to import the old disk group.
    >Even a reinstallation of a minimal 2.6/2.5.3 system could not reimport the
    >old disk group.
    >One disk of the disk group was accidently overwritten within the Sol.8/3.1.1
    >installation.
    >Is there any chance to get the disk group running?
    >
    >What steps are recommended to do a take a disk group from vxvm 2.5.3 over
    >into a new Sol.8/vxvm3.1.1 system?
    >
    >Any comments welcome.

    PS: Here is the exakt error message:

    Importing disk group import failed.
    vxvm:vxdg: ERROR: Disk group kursdg: import failed: Disk for disk group
    not found

  3. Re: vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found

    did you type
    vxdg upgrade kursdg after the upgrade?

    bye

    "Bernhard" wrote in message news:3b5bcd11$1@hronntp01....

    > "Bernhard" wrote:
    > >
    > >We wanted to upgrade Solaris 2.6 with VXVM 2.5.3 to Solaris 8 (new

    installation)
    > >and VXVM 3.1.1.
    > >There was a disk group named kursdg which we deported under 2.6/2.5.3
    > >Then we did a new installation of Solaris 8 and VXVM 3.1.1
    > >With the new configuration we tried to import to old kursdg disk group

    and
    > >got the following error:
    > >vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found

  4. Re: vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found

    "Napo" wrote:
    >did you type
    >vxdg upgrade kursdg after the upgrade?
    >
    >bye
    >

    >"Bernhard" wrote in message news:3b5bcd11$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> "Bernhard" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >We wanted to upgrade Solaris 2.6 with VXVM 2.5.3 to Solaris 8 (new

    >installation)
    >> >and VXVM 3.1.1.
    >> >There was a disk group named kursdg which we deported under 2.6/2.5.3
    >> >Then we did a new installation of Solaris 8 and VXVM 3.1.1
    >> >With the new configuration we tried to import to old kursdg disk group

    >and
    >> >got the following error:
    >> >vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found

  5. Re: vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found

    No, didn't try, because the veritas documentation said, that upgrading the
    disk group should be done after importing.
    But thanks for that tip. I will try it next time.

    "Napo" wrote:
    >did you type
    >vxdg upgrade kursdg after the upgrade?
    >
    >bye
    >

    >"Bernhard" wrote in message news:3b5bcd11$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> "Bernhard" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >We wanted to upgrade Solaris 2.6 with VXVM 2.5.3 to Solaris 8 (new

    >installation)
    >> >and VXVM 3.1.1.
    >> >There was a disk group named kursdg which we deported under 2.6/2.5.3
    >> >Then we did a new installation of Solaris 8 and VXVM 3.1.1
    >> >With the new configuration we tried to import to old kursdg disk group

    >and
    >> >got the following error:
    >> >vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found

  6. Re: vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found

    I think you can't import the disk group. But i will try some things tomorrow
    on the machine and then i will send you some procedure.

    Do you know the disk that was went off from the disk group?.

    If yes is that disk was mirrored on to any other disk?.

    Thanks,
    Prasad Gondi

    Bernhard wrote in message news:3b5bcd11$1@hronntp01....

    > "Bernhard" wrote:
    > >
    > >We wanted to upgrade Solaris 2.6 with VXVM 2.5.3 to Solaris 8 (new

    installation)
    > >and VXVM 3.1.1.
    > >There was a disk group named kursdg which we deported under 2.6/2.5.3
    > >Then we did a new installation of Solaris 8 and VXVM 3.1.1
    > >With the new configuration we tried to import to old kursdg disk group

    and
    > >got the following error:
    > >vxvm: vxdmp: Disk for disk group not found
    > >It was not possible to import the old disk group.
    > >Even a reinstallation of a minimal 2.6/2.5.3 system could not reimport

    the
    > >old disk group.
    > >One disk of the disk group was accidently overwritten within the

    Sol.8/3.1.1
    > >installation.
    > >Is there any chance to get the disk group running?
    > >
    > >What steps are recommended to do a take a disk group from vxvm 2.5.3 over
    > >into a new Sol.8/vxvm3.1.1 system?
    > >
    > >Any comments welcome.

    > PS: Here is the exakt error message:
    >
    > Importing disk group import failed.
    > vxvm:vxdg: ERROR: Disk group kursdg: import failed: Disk for disk group
    > not found

+ Reply to Thread