Recover OS under VM control onto a different m/c - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Recover OS under VM control onto a different m/c - Veritas Volume Manager ; I have been trying to recover (Disaster Recovery test) a system onto another machine without much sucess. Does anyone out there have a procedure that I could follow. I have tried to restore the system to another machine. Unecapsulated the ...

  1. Recover OS under VM control onto a different m/c

    I have been trying to recover (Disaster Recovery test) a
    system onto another machine without much sucess. Does anyone
    out there have a procedure that I could follow.

    I have tried to restore the system to another machine.
    Unecapsulated the boot disk manually (while booted from cdrom).
    Remove the /devices and /dev directory.
    Recreated the /devices /dev and the path_to_inst
    (while booted from cdrom.

    Re-encapsulating the boot disk does not work.
    vxconfid cannot startup as it cannot read /dev/vx/config.
    I copied this from the original machine but this did not
    work either.

    Any clues Help !!!!!

    Can this be done? I have ben told that VM does not like
    anything moved from under it.

    Is it possible to resotre the backup of one machine whose
    boot disk is encapsulated onto another machine. If it is
    I would really appreciate a procedure for this.

    Thanks
    Lucas

  2. Re: Recover OS under VM control onto a different m/c

    Hi Lucas,

    Are you trying to restore the system onto the same type of machine, i.e
    a E420R to a new E420R with the same type of hardware attached ?
    We use this method when cloning systems.

    Regards,
    Peter

    Lucas wrote:

    > I have been trying to recover (Disaster Recovery test) a
    > system onto another machine without much sucess. Does anyone
    > out there have a procedure that I could follow.
    >
    > I have tried to restore the system to another machine.
    > Unecapsulated the boot disk manually (while booted from cdrom).
    > Remove the /devices and /dev directory.
    > Recreated the /devices /dev and the path_to_inst
    > (while booted from cdrom.
    >
    > Re-encapsulating the boot disk does not work.
    > vxconfid cannot startup as it cannot read /dev/vx/config.
    > I copied this from the original machine but this did not
    > work either.
    >
    > Any clues Help !!!!!
    >
    > Can this be done? I have ben told that VM does not like
    > anything moved from under it.
    >
    > Is it possible to resotre the backup of one machine whose
    > boot disk is encapsulated onto another machine. If it is
    > I would really appreciate a procedure for this.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lucas

  3. Re: Recover OS under VM control onto a different m/c

    Peter Sevborn - Dimension AB wrote:

    >Hi Lucas,
    >
    >Are you trying to restore the system onto the same type of machine, i.e
    >a E420R to a new E420R with the same type of hardware attached ?
    >We use this method when cloning systems.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Peter
    >

    >Lucas wrote:
    >
    >> I have been trying to recover (Disaster Recovery test) a
    >> system onto another machine without much sucess. Does anyone
    >> out there have a procedure that I could follow.
    >>
    >> I have tried to restore the system to another machine.
    >> Unecapsulated the boot disk manually (while booted from cdrom).
    >> Remove the /devices and /dev directory.
    >> Recreated the /devices /dev and the path_to_inst
    >> (while booted from cdrom.
    >>
    >> Re-encapsulating the boot disk does not work.
    >> vxconfid cannot startup as it cannot read /dev/vx/config.
    >> I copied this from the original machine but this did not
    >> work either.
    >>
    >> Any clues Help !!!!!
    >>
    >> Can this be done? I have ben told that VM does not like
    >> anything moved from under it.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to resotre the backup of one machine whose
    >> boot disk is encapsulated onto another machine. If it is
    >> I would really appreciate a procedure for this.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Lucas

    >begin:vcard
    >n:Sevborn;Peter
    >tel;cell:+46 709 310112
    >tel;fax:+46 46 2882125
    >tel;work:+46 46 2882112
    >x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    >url:www.dimension.se
    >org:

    ;
    Dimension
    >Makes IT run

    >adr:;;Företagsvägen 28;Lund;;227 61;Sweden
    >version:2.1
    >email;interneteters@syd.dimension.se
    >title:Systems Engineer
    >x-mozilla-cpt:;0
    >fn:Peter Sevborn
    >end:vcard

    Hi Peter,

    Thanks for your reply. Yes I was trying to clone one E250
    on to another. I you have a procedure to do this I would
    really appreciate a copy. Please mail me a copy if it is
    to large to put it in here.

    Thanks a lot
    Lucas

  4. Re: Recover OS under VM control onto a different m/c

    Hi Lucas,

    These are the steps taken to clone a system:

    1. boot cdrom -s
    2. run the format utility to set up the new boot disk, with all partitions necessary (e.g. /, swap, /usr,
    /export/home ...)
    3. run newfs on the new partitions
    4. mount the new root at /a
    5. load the tape drive with the tape you want to restore from
    6. cd /a
    7. ufsrestore rf /dev/rmt/0 # Change the device if necessary, this will restore the root partition
    from tape
    8. unmount /a and check the filesystem
    9. mount again as /a
    10. rm /a/restoresymtable
    11. cd /a/etc
    12. fix vfstab to use non vxvm controlled devices (all partitions contained on the root disk) and comment
    out all other vxvm volume mountpoints
    13. fix system. Put an * {asterix} in front of all lines concerning vxvm ;all lines between "*vxvm_START
    (do not remove)" and "*vxvm_END (do not remove)"
    14. temporary disable any startup scripts that require vxvm volumes to be mounted
    15. install bootblock on the new root disk
    16. unmount /a
    17. repeat step 4 through 10 for all other filesystems contained on the root disk
    18. now all partitions on the root disk are restored.
    19. halt the system and reboot into single user (important)
    20. There will be some serious errors reported from VxVM (e.g. vxvm:vxconfigd: FATAL ERROR: Rootdg cannot
    be imported during boot). Just ignore those
    21. Give root passwd to enter single user mode
    22. remove the VRTSvxvm package
    23. reinstall the VRTSvxvm package
    24. Enter a new valid or demo licenses for VRTSVxVM
    25. run vxinstall and encapsulate the new root disk
    26. select yes to reboot the system
    27. The system will reboot with the new disk encapsulated.
    28. Now it is just to fix all other VxVM volumes and restore their data, change vfstab to mount them again
    and enable the disabled startup scripts.
    29. reboot one last time
    30. Finished

    I hope this will help you to succesfully clone a system.

    Regards,
    Peter

    Lucas Bunyan wrote:

    > Peter Sevborn - Dimension AB wrote:
    > >
    > >Hi Lucas,
    > >
    > >Are you trying to restore the system onto the same type of machine, i.e
    > >a E420R to a new E420R with the same type of hardware attached ?
    > >We use this method when cloning systems.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >Peter
    > >

    > >Lucas wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have been trying to recover (Disaster Recovery test) a
    > >> system onto another machine without much sucess. Does anyone
    > >> out there have a procedure that I could follow.
    > >>
    > >> I have tried to restore the system to another machine.
    > >> Unecapsulated the boot disk manually (while booted from cdrom).
    > >> Remove the /devices and /dev directory.
    > >> Recreated the /devices /dev and the path_to_inst
    > >> (while booted from cdrom.
    > >>
    > >> Re-encapsulating the boot disk does not work.
    > >> vxconfid cannot startup as it cannot read /dev/vx/config.
    > >> I copied this from the original machine but this did not
    > >> work either.
    > >>
    > >> Any clues Help !!!!!
    > >>
    > >> Can this be done? I have ben told that VM does not like
    > >> anything moved from under it.
    > >>
    > >> Is it possible to resotre the backup of one machine whose
    > >> boot disk is encapsulated onto another machine. If it is
    > >> I would really appreciate a procedure for this.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Lucas

    > >begin:vcard
    > >n:Sevborn;Peter
    > >tel;cell:+46 709 310112
    > >tel;fax:+46 46 2882125
    > >tel;work:+46 46 2882112
    > >x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    > >url:www.dimension.se
    > >org:

    ;
    Dimension
    > >Makes IT run

    > >adr:;;Företagsvägen 28;Lund;;227 61;Sweden
    > >version:2.1
    > >email;interneteters@syd.dimension.se
    > >title:Systems Engineer
    > >x-mozilla-cpt:;0
    > >fn:Peter Sevborn
    > >end:vcard
    > >

    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. Yes I was trying to clone one E250
    > on to another. I you have a procedure to do this I would
    > really appreciate a copy. Please mail me a copy if it is
    > to large to put it in here.
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    > Lucas

+ Reply to Thread