Reorganize File systems on RootVol (Mirrored) - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Reorganize File systems on RootVol (Mirrored) - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, my initial OS installation was done on a 9.0 Gb mirrored disk. Everything is under "/". Now, we encounter some problems with application LOG files that filled up "/" to 100 %. Now, we want to reorganize our File ...

  1. Reorganize File systems on RootVol (Mirrored)

    Hi,

    my initial OS installation was done on a 9.0 Gb mirrored disk.
    Everything is under "/". Now, we encounter some problems with
    application LOG files that filled up "/" to 100 %. Now, we want
    to reorganize our File systems like :
    /
    /export/home
    /opt
    /usr
    /var

    In order to be able to reorganize our FileSystems, we will
    probably need to break mirror on our RootVol. After this, we
    should be able to reorganize 1 of those 2 disks. Finally,
    we want to apply those changes to the other disk.
    I would like to have a list of activities that we should
    do to complete that change.

    Thanks !!!

  2. Re: Reorganize File systems on RootVol (Mirrored)

    "Stephane Lemelin" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    > my initial OS installation was done on a 9.0 Gb mirrored disk.
    >Everything is under "/". Now, we encounter some problems with
    >application LOG files that filled up "/" to 100 %. Now, we want
    >to reorganize our File systems like :
    > /
    > /export/home
    > /opt
    > /usr
    > /var
    >
    >In order to be able to reorganize our FileSystems, we will
    >probably need to break mirror on our RootVol. After this, we
    >should be able to reorganize 1 of those 2 disks. Finally,
    >we want to apply those changes to the other disk.
    >I would like to have a list of activities that we should
    >do to complete that change.
    >
    >Thanks !!!

    As a rule I do not put any app logs in rootdg. I would create
    a volume in another disk group and move the logs to that volume.
    This is the easiest way to do this.

    If you have decided to resize the root disk (quite laborious).
    1.Backup the boot disk partitions.
    1.Recursively remove the mirror.
    3.Unencapsuate the boot disk.
    4.Resize your boot disk partitions.
    5.Encapsulate the boot disk.
    6.Recreate you boot mirror.

    This should work. but again I would create a volume on a
    different disk dgroup and move the logs. It is much easier
    and will take a lot less time.

    Cheers
    Lucas

+ Reply to Thread