what is the dump device - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on what is the dump device - Veritas Volume Manager ; hi all What should be the dump device for core dumps on a veritas volume. dumpadm does not allow a device of the format /dev/vx/swapvol. When I had the device as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1, I couldn't get any core dumps after a ...

  1. what is the dump device

    hi all

    What should be the dump device for core dumps on a veritas volume. dumpadm
    does not allow a device of the format /dev/vx/swapvol. When I had the device
    as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1, I couldn't get any core dumps after a crash. What is
    the correct dump device. Thanks

    ameet

  2. Re: what is the dump device

    FOr saving the crashdumps you have to enable save core feature in the /etc/rc
    scripts.
    Even after this is enabled you will not be able to write crash files to VX
    volumes
    as this will come initial stages fo system booting. You have to use ordinary
    disk parttion mounted on /var/crash for thsi to work.

    "ameet " wrote:

    >hi all
    >
    >What should be the dump device for core dumps on a veritas volume. dumpadm
    >does not allow a device of the format /dev/vx/swapvol. When I had the device
    >as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1, I couldn't get any core dumps after a crash. What

    is
    >the correct dump device. Thanks
    >
    >ameet

  3. Re: what is the dump device

    you can!
    you can create a volume on shared disks, put it in the rootdg, edit the
    /etc/vfstab (mount at boot as /var/crash/hostname).
    It works! But we talked about Savecore directory.
    For the "Dump device" we cannot use any volume, only solaris partitions.

    "Rajesh Vadde" wrote in message

    > FOr saving the crashdumps you have to enable save core feature in the

    /etc/rc
    > scripts.
    > Even after this is enabled you will not be able to write crash files to VX
    > volumes
    > as this will come initial stages fo system booting. You have to use

    ordinary
    > disk parttion mounted on /var/crash for thsi to work.
    >

    > "ameet " wrote:
    > >
    > >hi all
    > >
    > >What should be the dump device for core dumps on a veritas volume.

    dumpadm
    > >does not allow a device of the format /dev/vx/swapvol. When I had the

    device
    > >as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1, I couldn't get any core dumps after a crash. What

    > is
    > >the correct dump device. Thanks
    > >
    > >ameet

+ Reply to Thread