resizing rootvol - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on resizing rootvol - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hello, can I resize my root volume ? How ? I tried : "vxresize rootvol +200M disk01" but I received this : "vxvm:vxresize: ERROR: Cannot resize volume with usage type of root" File system : UFS on Solaris. Thx in ...

  1. resizing rootvol

    Hello,
    can I resize my root volume ? How ?
    I tried :
    "vxresize rootvol +200M disk01"
    but I received this :
    "vxvm:vxresize: ERROR: Cannot resize volume with usage type of root"

    File system : UFS on Solaris.

    Thx in advance.

  2. Re: resizing rootvol

    Hi Didier,

    No, you can not resize /, /usr, /var with vxresize. This is because the
    volumes actually are real partitions (fixed boundries) on the disk, not
    space within the public region. The only way to resize is to manually do
    all work; unencapsulate root, setup a new rootdisk, move data .... and
    so on. This will require some work and there will be downtime.
    A quicker solution is to add new disk(s) and move data from some
    directories to the new disk(s) and mount this/these instead. This can be
    done on for example /opt, /usr/local, /export/home . To use this
    solution the directories has to be part of the root filesystem to start
    with; not mounted from other disks.

    Good luck

    /Peter

    Didier Devleeschauwer wrote:

    > Hello,
    > can I resize my root volume ? How ?
    > I tried :
    > "vxresize rootvol +200M disk01"
    > but I received this :
    > "vxvm:vxresize: ERROR: Cannot resize volume with usage type of root"
    >
    > File system : UFS on Solaris.
    >
    > Thx in advance.

+ Reply to Thread