Convert ufs to vxfs - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Convert ufs to vxfs - Veritas Volume Manager ; I recently had Volume Manager with Volume Replication installed on an E4500 running Solaris 7. I noticed that the file types for all the file systems we encapsulated (/, /opt, /export/home, /var) are ufs. Can these be converted to the ...

  1. Convert ufs to vxfs

    I recently had Volume Manager with Volume Replication installed on an
    E4500 running Solaris 7. I noticed that the file types for all the file
    systems we encapsulated (/, /opt, /export/home, /var) are ufs. Can
    these be converted to the Veritas file system (vxfs)? Or would this
    entail creating new file systems with makefs and copying the data
    (something I am loathe to do, especially with root)? These file systems
    are being mirrored to separate disks.
    --
    Jim Adams

  2. Re: Convert ufs to vxfs

    I dont recommend to convert OS file systems to vxfs.

    Juan

    James Adams wrote:
    >I recently had Volume Manager with Volume Replication installed on an
    >E4500 running Solaris 7. I noticed that the file types for all the file
    >systems we encapsulated (/, /opt, /export/home, /var) are ufs. Can
    >these be converted to the Veritas file system (vxfs)? Or would this
    >entail creating new file systems with makefs and copying the data
    >(something I am loathe to do, especially with root)? These file systems
    >are being mirrored to separate disks.
    >--
    >Jim Adams

  3. Re: Convert ufs to vxfs

    Solaris demands UFS for the boot filesystem(s)
    VxFS is not an option.
    (It's a matter of boot-flow driver load order)

    "James Adams" wrote in message
    > I recently had Volume Manager with Volume Replication installed on an
    > E4500 running Solaris 7. I noticed that the file types for all the file
    > systems we encapsulated (/, /opt, /export/home, /var) are ufs. Can
    > these be converted to the Veritas file system (vxfs)? Or would this
    > entail creating new file systems with makefs and copying the data
    > (something I am loathe to do, especially with root)? These file systems
    > are being mirrored to separate disks.
    > --
    > Jim Adams

+ Reply to Thread