Striped Pro and Concatenated pro - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Striped Pro and Concatenated pro - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi All , Just need a little help. Striped Pro is 1+0 Concatenated Pro is 0+1 Is this right or is it the other way around ? I would RTFM but am on site which has old veritas Course notes ...

  1. Striped Pro and Concatenated pro

    Hi All ,

    Just need a little help.

    Striped Pro is 1+0
    Concatenated Pro is 0+1

    Is this right or is it the other way around ?

    I would RTFM but am on site which has old veritas Course notes and my new
    one's are back at home.

    Other question would be if the above is wrong can I change my current
    volumes to 1+0 if they are 0+1 without having to remove them all and start
    again. If so how ?

    TIA
    Cheers

    Pankaj

  2. Re: Striped Pro and Concatenated pro

    Pankaj,

    Striped-pro is 1+0.
    Concatanated is a little different, in that it doesn't fall into a standard
    "RAID" category.
    Assuming that you understand how raid-0 works (striped).. concatanation
    differs in that the resultant virtual device uses the first slice contiguosly
    until the end of that device and then starts using the next device and so on,
    whereas striped will only access a stripe unit worth of data from the first
    device then move on to the next device.

    Striping: Advantages - reads and writes hit all spindles in the volumes.
    Disadvantages: All subdisks making up the subdisk must all be the same size.

    Concat - (The opposite)

    So, what then is concatanated pro? It is mirroring then concating across
    those layered volumes, as striped pro is mirroring and then striping across
    the layered volumes.

    Ok, as for your question as to can you convert from 0+1 to 1+0. The answer is
    maybe, veritas is capable of doing it, but it is a messy procedure that
    requires lots of free temporary disk space for veritas to use. I almost
    always will rebuild the volumes in question.

    -Brian Gupta
    Senior Systems Engineer
    Unix Engineering
    Time Inc.

    pankaj wrote:

    > Hi All ,
    >
    > Just need a little help.
    >
    > Striped Pro is 1+0
    > Concatenated Pro is 0+1
    >
    > Is this right or is it the other way around ?
    >
    > I would RTFM but am on site which has old veritas Course notes and my new
    > one's are back at home.
    >
    > Other question would be if the above is wrong can I change my current
    > volumes to 1+0 if they are 0+1 without having to remove them all and start
    > again. If so how ?
    >
    > TIA
    > Cheers
    >
    > Pankaj