DMP on SUN + Compaq RA8000/12000 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on DMP on SUN + Compaq RA8000/12000 - Veritas Volume Manager ; I've got multipathing working to some extent, but am seeing results I'm not sure about. It appears like the 4 paths I'm expecting are spread across 2 vxdmp nodes. We're running Solaris 2.6 w/ VXVM v3.1, and an Compaq RA8000/12000 ...

  1. DMP on SUN + Compaq RA8000/12000

    I've got multipathing working to some extent, but am seeing
    results I'm not sure about. It appears like the 4 paths I'm
    expecting are spread across 2 vxdmp nodes.

    We're running Solaris 2.6 w/ VXVM v3.1, and an
    Compaq RA8000/12000 (HSG80 controller) array. HBA's are JNI with
    Compaq StorageWorks drivers (really JNI drivers).
    Everything is full fabric.

    The array has dual controllers (A and B) in active/active mode
    with all 4 ports active.
    1 LUN (unti D5) is available across both controllers.

    I have confirmed (prior to Veritas being installed), that
    I can see this LUN via the 4 standard device mappings:
    /dev/dsk/c1t64d5
    /dev/dsk/c1t66d5
    /dev/dsk/c2t65d5
    /dev/dsk/c2t67d5

    These are accessible and work
    (thus GBIC/switches/cables/etc work).

    Per the sd.conf file:
    c1t64d5 maps to a connection to array controller B, port 1.
    c1t66d5 maps to a connection to array controller A, port 1.
    c2t65d5 maps to a connection to array controller B, port 2.
    c2t67d5 maps to a connection to array controller A, port 2.

    When I run vxinstall, then use vxdmpadm to check the DMP setup,
    I get the following:
    # vxdmpadm getsubpaths dmpnodename=c1t64d5s2
    NAME STATE PATH-TYPE CTLR-NAME ENCLR-TYPE ENCLR-NAME
    c1t64d5s2 ENABLED - c1 JBOD
    c2t65d5s2 ENABLED - c2 JBOD
    # vxdmpadm getsubpaths dmpnodename=c1t66d5s2
    NAME STATE PATH-TYPE CTLR-NAME ENCLR-TYPE ENCLR-NAME
    c1t66d5s2 ENABLED - c1 JBOD
    c2t67d5s2 ENABLED - c2 JBOD

    I then use the getdmpnode option to confirm the number of paths
    seen above:
    # vxdmpadm getdmpnode nodename=c1t64d5s2
    NAME STATE ENCLR-TYPE PATHS ENBL DSBL ENCLR-NAME
    c1t64d5s2 ENABLED JBOD 2 2 0
    # vxdmpadm getdmpnode nodename=c1t66d5s2
    NAME STATE ENCLR-TYPE PATHS ENBL DSBL ENCLR-NAME
    c1t66d5s2 ENABLED JBOD 2 2 0

    It's as if VXVM sees both paths to one controller as one node,
    then the other two paths on the other controller as another node.

    Does VXVM not support DMP across redundant controllers?

    Anyone have any ideas why this is occurring, or how to make it
    such that I have 4 paths to this LUN?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: DMP on SUN + Compaq RA8000/12000

    Jim,

    Compaq does not support Veritas DMP and Veritas doesn't support Compaq SAN
    with DMP....Period

    "Jim Quinlan" wrote:

    >I've got multipathing working to some extent, but am seeing
    >results I'm not sure about. It appears like the 4 paths I'm
    >expecting are spread across 2 vxdmp nodes.
    >
    >We're running Solaris 2.6 w/ VXVM v3.1, and an
    >Compaq RA8000/12000 (HSG80 controller) array. HBA's are JNI with
    >Compaq StorageWorks drivers (really JNI drivers).
    >Everything is full fabric.
    >
    >The array has dual controllers (A and B) in active/active mode
    >with all 4 ports active.
    >1 LUN (unti D5) is available across both controllers.
    >
    >I have confirmed (prior to Veritas being installed), that
    >I can see this LUN via the 4 standard device mappings:
    >/dev/dsk/c1t64d5
    >/dev/dsk/c1t66d5
    >/dev/dsk/c2t65d5
    >/dev/dsk/c2t67d5
    >
    >These are accessible and work
    >(thus GBIC/switches/cables/etc work).
    >
    >Per the sd.conf file:
    >c1t64d5 maps to a connection to array controller B, port 1.
    >c1t66d5 maps to a connection to array controller A, port 1.
    >c2t65d5 maps to a connection to array controller B, port 2.
    >c2t67d5 maps to a connection to array controller A, port 2.
    >
    >When I run vxinstall, then use vxdmpadm to check the DMP setup,
    >I get the following:
    ># vxdmpadm getsubpaths dmpnodename=c1t64d5s2
    >NAME STATE PATH-TYPE CTLR-NAME ENCLR-TYPE ENCLR-NAME
    >================================================== ================
    >c1t64d5s2 ENABLED - c1 JBOD
    >c2t65d5s2 ENABLED - c2 JBOD
    ># vxdmpadm getsubpaths dmpnodename=c1t66d5s2
    >NAME STATE PATH-TYPE CTLR-NAME ENCLR-TYPE ENCLR-NAME
    >================================================== ================
    >c1t66d5s2 ENABLED - c1 JBOD
    >c2t67d5s2 ENABLED - c2 JBOD
    >
    >I then use the getdmpnode option to confirm the number of paths
    >seen above:
    ># vxdmpadm getdmpnode nodename=c1t64d5s2
    >NAME STATE ENCLR-TYPE PATHS ENBL DSBL ENCLR-NAME
    >================================================== =============
    >c1t64d5s2 ENABLED JBOD 2 2 0
    ># vxdmpadm getdmpnode nodename=c1t66d5s2
    >NAME STATE ENCLR-TYPE PATHS ENBL DSBL ENCLR-NAME
    >c1t66d5s2 ENABLED JBOD 2 2 0
    >
    >It's as if VXVM sees both paths to one controller as one node,
    >then the other two paths on the other controller as another node.
    >
    >Does VXVM not support DMP across redundant controllers?
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas why this is occurring, or how to make it
    >such that I have 4 paths to this LUN?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jim

+ Reply to Thread