error msg at boot "Can't stat: /dev/vx/rdsk/oradg/vol01" - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on error msg at boot "Can't stat: /dev/vx/rdsk/oradg/vol01" - Veritas Volume Manager ; I am getting this error message at boot time. Apparently fsck cant fsck the ufs filesystem I have on this volume. If I boot into single user, edit vfstab and comment out the line to mount this file sys., everything ...

  1. error msg at boot "Can't stat: /dev/vx/rdsk/oradg/vol01"

    I am getting this error message at boot time. Apparently fsck
    cant fsck the ufs filesystem I have on this volume. If I boot
    into single user, edit vfstab and comment out the line to mount
    this file sys., everything boots OK and I can manually mount the
    filesys. and everything is fine. Any ideas as to why the failure at boot
    time?

    Thanks in advance!!
    Alex

  2. Re: error msg at boot "Can't stat: /dev/vx/rdsk/oradg/vol01"

    Alex,

    This sounds like a boottime device discovery issue whereby the OS or vxconfigd
    has not 'discovered' the disks and diskgroups. A number of things could be
    wrong here.

    I would suggest getting in touch with support to sort this out as the permutations
    are endless in such cases.

    Regards,
    Prad.

    "Alex Loker" wrote:

    >I am getting this error message at boot time. Apparently fsck
    >cant fsck the ufs filesystem I have on this volume. If I boot
    >into single user, edit vfstab and comment out the line to mount
    >this file sys., everything boots OK and I can manually mount the
    >filesys. and everything is fine. Any ideas as to why the failure at boot
    >time?
    >
    >Thanks in advance!!
    >Alex

  3. Re: error msg at boot "Can't stat: /dev/vx/rdsk/oradg/vol01"

    Alex,
    I would boot to single user mode and try the folloeing command:
    # vxvol start /dev/vx/rdsk/oradg/vol01
    It normally works for me. If the volume fails to start, then you need
    to do a vxdisk list and look for error messages.
    Rgds,
    Colin
    "Prad" wrote:

    >Alex,
    >
    >This sounds like a boottime device discovery issue whereby the OS or vxconfigd
    >has not 'discovered' the disks and diskgroups. A number of things could

    be
    >wrong here.
    >
    >I would suggest getting in touch with support to sort this out as the permutations
    >are endless in such cases.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Prad.
    >
    >"Alex Loker" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am getting this error message at boot time. Apparently fsck
    >>cant fsck the ufs filesystem I have on this volume. If I boot
    >>into single user, edit vfstab and comment out the line to mount
    >>this file sys., everything boots OK and I can manually mount the
    >>filesys. and everything is fine. Any ideas as to why the failure at boot
    >>time?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance!!
    >>Alex

+ Reply to Thread