volume resize failed. help! - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on volume resize failed. help! - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi, I am having a problem with resizing my volume. The following are steps and errors encountered: 1. At the beginning, a disk group dg1(one disk: dk1 16.8G), and a volume vl1 in it (concatenated,15G). lots of data on the ...

  1. volume resize failed. help!

    Hi,

    I am having a problem with resizing my volume.
    The following are steps and errors encountered:

    1. At the beginning,

    a disk group dg1(one disk: dk1 16.8G),
    and a volume vl1 in it (concatenated,15G).

    lots of data on the volume

    2. Then, I want to add a disk(dk2) to vl1,

    ( vmsa 3.0.2 on Solaris 2.6 )

    1) add dk2 to dg1 . ok
    2) umount and stop vl1 ok
    3) resize ( using vmsa )
    Volumes > Resize
    > Select both disks
    > New size > Desired Size: 30

    ^^^^
    It should be "30G" !!

    ( the command : /etc/vx/bin/vxresize -g dg1 vl1 30 alloc="dsk1 dsk2" )

    3. Now,
    the volume is shrinkto 30 sectors.
    I think data on the volume is lost.

    What can I do now ? I have no backup...

    thanks...thanks...thanks...

  2. Re: volume resize failed. help!

    "unicom" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am having a problem with resizing my volume.
    >The following are steps and errors encountered:
    >

    >1. At the beginning,
    >
    >a disk group dg1(one disk: dk1 16.8G),
    >and a volume vl1 in it (concatenated,15G).
    >
    >lots of data on the volume
    >

    >2. Then, I want to add a disk(dk2) to vl1,
    >
    >( vmsa 3.0.2 on Solaris 2.6 )
    >
    >1) add dk2 to dg1 . ok
    >2) umount and stop vl1 ok
    >3) resize ( using vmsa )
    > Volumes > Resize
    > > Select both disks
    > > New size > Desired Size: 30

    > ^^^^
    > It should be "30G" !!
    >
    > ( the command : /etc/vx/bin/vxresize -g dg1 vl1 30 alloc="dsk1 dsk2" )
    >
    >3. Now,
    > the volume is shrinkto 30 sectors.
    > I think data on the volume is lost.
    >
    > What can I do now ? I have no backup...
    >

    >thanks...thanks...thanks...

    Hi,

    The default for size is in kilobytes, so you resized your volume
    to 30k. You need to specify m (megabytes) or g(gigabytes) in vmsa or
    your command line. Also The new_length operand can begin with a
    plus (+) or minus (-) to indicate that the new length is added
    to or subtracted from from the current volume length. By not specifying
    a plus or minus you set the total to be 30k.

    This command would have correctly configured the volume:

    vxresize -g dg1 vl1 30g alloc="dsk1 dsk2"

    As for your filesystem, I'm afraid you just learned a very hard lessson.
    Had you been quick you could have run vxtask list, form the command
    line and aborted the task.

    For the future you really need to make sure you have a complete backup
    of any file system which you intend to change the structure AND the
    volume structure as well.

  3. Re: volume resize failed. help!

    Rembember, if no unit for size is specified, sectors are assumed. You should
    have entered 30g (g for gigabytes) instead of just 30.

    Charles

    "unicom" wrote in message news:3a9d3dcc@hronntp01....
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having a problem with resizing my volume.
    > The following are steps and errors encountered:
    >

    > 1. At the beginning,
    >
    > a disk group dg1(one disk: dk1 16.8G),
    > and a volume vl1 in it (concatenated,15G).
    >
    > lots of data on the volume
    >

    > 2. Then, I want to add a disk(dk2) to vl1,
    >
    > ( vmsa 3.0.2 on Solaris 2.6 )
    >
    > 1) add dk2 to dg1 . ok
    > 2) umount and stop vl1 ok
    > 3) resize ( using vmsa )
    > Volumes > Resize
    > > Select both disks
    > > New size > Desired Size: 30

    > ^^^^
    > It should be "30G" !!
    >
    > ( the command : /etc/vx/bin/vxresize -g dg1 vl1 30 alloc="dsk1 dsk2" )
    >
    > 3. Now,
    > the volume is shrinkto 30 sectors.
    > I think data on the volume is lost.
    >
    > What can I do now ? I have no backup...