Upgrading Solaris7 with VM 3.1 to Solaris8 with VM 3.1 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Upgrading Solaris7 with VM 3.1 to Solaris8 with VM 3.1 - Veritas Volume Manager ; Hi all, I want to upgrade a solaris7 box with Veritas VM 3.1 to Solaris8. As explained in the veritas installation manual, first I run the script upgrade_start. After I upgraded the OS to Solaris8. Finally I run the script ...

  1. Upgrading Solaris7 with VM 3.1 to Solaris8 with VM 3.1

    Hi all,

    I want to upgrade a solaris7 box with Veritas VM 3.1 to Solaris8.
    As explained in the veritas installation manual, first I run the
    script upgrade_start. After I upgraded the OS to Solaris8. Finally
    I run the script upgrade_finish. All this I did as per the
    instuctions of the veritas installation guide without any
    mistakes. But after all this procedure, the veritas VM is not
    starting. The error is with starting the vxconfigd demon.

    vxvm:vxconfigd:ERROR: cannot open /dev/vx/config: no such file or device.

    I looked in the veritas reference manual for this error message.
    The action suggested in that book for this error is add the base
    volume manager package again. I also did that, but I am getting
    the same error.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance,
    Praveen.

  2. Re: Upgrading Solaris7 with VM 3.1 to Solaris8 with VM 3.1

    run
    ldd [path vxconfigd]
    You have one or two libraries not linked ok. You must link this libraries
    to the correct path /etc/vx/slib/

    En español
    #########

    Arrancar la máquina con el CD en modo monousuario:

    ok boot cdrom -s

    Montar particion raiz del disco 0:

    # mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt

    Probar si basta con esto:

    # cd /mnt/etc/vx/slib
    # ln -s libmp.so libmp.so.2

    desmontar /mnt y rebotar. Si no va, seguir los siguientes pasos:

    Copiar todo lo que hay en /etc/vx/slib a /etc/vx/lib

    # cd /mnt/etc/vx/lib
    # cp -p ../slib/* .

    Linkar:

    # cd /mnt/etc/vx/lib
    # ln -s libmp.so libmp.so.2
    # cd /mnt/etc/vx/slib
    # ln -s libmp.so libmp.so.2

    Desmontar /mnt:

    # umount /mnt

    Crossing fingers:

    # reboot

    Boot the system with Solaris Software Product one

    "Praveen" wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I want to upgrade a solaris7 box with Veritas VM 3.1 to Solaris8.
    >As explained in the veritas installation manual, first I run the
    >script upgrade_start. After I upgraded the OS to Solaris8. Finally
    >I run the script upgrade_finish. All this I did as per the
    >instuctions of the veritas installation guide without any
    >mistakes. But after all this procedure, the veritas VM is not
    >starting. The error is with starting the vxconfigd demon.
    >
    >vxvm:vxconfigd:ERROR: cannot open /dev/vx/config: no such file or device.
    >
    >I looked in the veritas reference manual for this error message.
    >The action suggested in that book for this error is add the base
    >volume manager package again. I also did that, but I am getting
    >the same error.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Praveen.