vxslicer: ERROR Unsupported disk layout - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on vxslicer: ERROR Unsupported disk layout - Veritas Volume Manager ; I recently added Sun 36GB drives to a Sun server. I get this error when trying to encapsulate the drives into Volume Manager. Is there a config file where I need to add this disk layout?...

  1. vxslicer: ERROR Unsupported disk layout

    I recently added Sun 36GB drives to a Sun server. I get this error when trying
    to encapsulate the drives into Volume Manager. Is there a config file where
    I need to add this disk layout?

  2. Re: vxslicer: ERROR Unsupported disk layout

    I believe you need to have a few blocks free in order to 'encapsulate' a disk.
    Hope this helps.

    "Chris H" wrote:

    >I recently added Sun 36GB drives to a Sun server. I get this error when

    trying
    >to encapsulate the drives into Volume Manager. Is there a config file where
    >I need to add this disk layout?

  3. Re: vxslicer: ERROR Unsupported disk layout

    make sure that the disk is having slicen 2. If there is no slice two VM will
    not recognise the disk at all,

    Hope this helps,

    Thanks,
    Prasad Gondi

    Chris H wrote in message

    > I recently added Sun 36GB drives to a Sun server. I get this error when

    trying
    > to encapsulate the drives into Volume Manager. Is there a config file

    where
    > I need to add this disk layout?

  4. Re: vxslicer: ERROR Unsupported disk layout

    "Chris H" wrote:

    >I recently added Sun 36GB drives to a Sun server. I get this error when

    trying
    >to encapsulate the drives into Volume Manager. Is there a config file where
    >I need to add this disk layout?

    chris,

    I got the same error when adding one of my disks and i have to
    repartition it leaving some free space and a free slice. As
    veritas needs a private region with free space and free slice to
    write to it ,it cannot encapsulate without that. I could add it
    after doing so by taking backup of entire disk, repartition it
    and then encapsulated it. it worked. but I need an easier method.
    If u did can u pl. let me know what method you followed to Encapsulate.

    Chandra

+ Reply to Thread