Pre-installation question - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Pre-installation question - Veritas Volume Manager ; I'm new to VxVM. Do I need to partition new disk prior to installing VxVM or will VxVM partition the new disk for me? If I have to partition the new disks, what partitions do I need and sizes? Also, ...

  1. Pre-installation question

    I'm new to VxVM. Do I need to partition new disk prior to installing VxVM
    or will VxVM partition the new disk for me? If I have to partition the new
    disks, what partitions do I need and sizes? Also, I read that the VxVM needs
    a small free space at the end/beginning of disk. Is this done automatically,
    or I have to do this?
    Thanks in advance,
    Leo

  2. Re: Pre-installation question

    Hi, please Initialize your hard disks So that Volume controler will recognize
    ur newdisks.with
    #format
    and #vxdiskadm

    thanks
    hari

    "Leo Gonzales" wrote:

    >I'm new to VxVM. Do I need to partition new disk prior to installing VxVM
    >or will VxVM partition the new disk for me? If I have to partition the new
    >disks, what partitions do I need and sizes? Also, I read that the VxVM needs
    >a small free space at the end/beginning of disk. Is this done automatically,
    >or I have to do this?
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Leo

  3. Re: Pre-installation question

    HI Hari,

    Do we need to format the disk before we put under VM control?.

    I think vxdiskadm option 1 will do the job done with out any format.

    Please disregard this mail if i am wrong.

    Thanks,
    Prasad Gondi

    hari wrote in message news:3a943b74$1@hronntp01....

    > Hi, please Initialize your hard disks So that Volume controler will

    recognize
    > ur newdisks.with
    > #format
    > and #vxdiskadm
    >
    > thanks
    > hari
    >

    > "Leo Gonzales" wrote:
    > >
    > >I'm new to VxVM. Do I need to partition new disk prior to installing VxVM
    > >or will VxVM partition the new disk for me? If I have to partition the

    new
    > >disks, what partitions do I need and sizes? Also, I read that the VxVM

    needs
    > >a small free space at the end/beginning of disk. Is this done

    automatically,
    > >or I have to do this?
    > >Thanks in advance,
    > >Leo