optimal no. of disks for RAID-5 - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on optimal no. of disks for RAID-5 - Veritas Volume Manager ; I am using veritas volume manager with a D1000+ E420 sun machine. I want to know what is the optimal number of disks to create a RAID-5 volume. Highest priority is recovery. I am looking for the best possible solution ...

  1. optimal no. of disks for RAID-5

    I am using veritas volume manager with a D1000+ E420 sun machine.
    I want to know what is the optimal number of disks to create a
    RAID-5 volume. Highest priority is recovery. I am looking for
    the best possible solution ( no of disks + logging etc ). Can
    any one provide inputs for me?.

    Prasad

  2. Re: optimal no. of disks for RAID-5

    When ur using raid-5 ,min. no. of disks used are 3;1 for parity and other
    for log & data.

    "prasad akkiraju" wrote:

    >I am using veritas volume manager with a D1000+ E420 sun machine.
    >I want to know what is the optimal number of disks to create a
    >RAID-5 volume. Highest priority is recovery. I am looking for
    >the best possible solution ( no of disks + logging etc ). Can
    >any one provide inputs for me?.
    >
    >Prasad

  3. Re: optimal no. of disks for RAID-5

    I get some information from QLOGIC about RAID 5 performance is
    7 RAID-5 disk = 1 Normal Disk. (Write)

    -Kawin

    "prasad akkiraju" wrote:

    >I am using veritas volume manager with a D1000+ E420 sun machine.
    >I want to know what is the optimal number of disks to create a
    >RAID-5 volume. Highest priority is recovery. I am looking for
    >the best possible solution ( no of disks + logging etc ). Can
    >any one provide inputs for me?.
    >
    >Prasad

  4. Re: optimal no. of disks for RAID-5

    Kawin,

    RAID5 will be very slow for write intensive application. For DSS is OK cause
    read intensive, and will offer almost same performance as RAID 0.

    Use veritas file system for short recovery times in case of a crash.

    Use all your disks (D1000 = 8 disks) 6+1, and reserve 1 for hot spare.

    I just test Sun T3īs, they perform really fast ( < 5ms !!!!!), I removed
    a disk on-line, the hot spare started working, the reconstruct time was 25
    mins !!!!!

    Bye,

    Juan
    "Kawin" wrote:

    >I get some information from QLOGIC about RAID 5 performance is
    >7 RAID-5 disk = 1 Normal Disk. (Write)
    >
    >-Kawin
    >
    >"prasad akkiraju" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am using veritas volume manager with a D1000+ E420 sun machine.
    >>I want to know what is the optimal number of disks to create a
    >>RAID-5 volume. Highest priority is recovery. I am looking for
    >>the best possible solution ( no of disks + logging etc ). Can
    >>any one provide inputs for me?.
    >>
    >>Prasad

  5. Re: optimal no. of disks for RAID-5

    Hi Prasad,

    What kind of application you are planning to use this RAID-5 Volume?.
    If it is write intensive application it is not a good idea of using RAID-5
    instead u can use Stripe-Pro which will give more flexibility and
    performance.

    Thanks,
    -Prasad
    prasad akkiraju wrote in message

    > I am using veritas volume manager with a D1000+ E420 sun machine.
    > I want to know what is the optimal number of disks to create a
    > RAID-5 volume. Highest priority is recovery. I am looking for
    > the best possible solution ( no of disks + logging etc ). Can
    > any one provide inputs for me?.
    >
    > Prasad

+ Reply to Thread