Anyone using Volume Manager in HP-UX MC/SG environment. - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Anyone using Volume Manager in HP-UX MC/SG environment. - Veritas Volume Manager ; Has anyone successfully configured Volume Manager in an HP-UX MC/ServiceGuard cluster? I understand from the Veritas sales team that it is supported, but can find noone who has successfully implemented it. Thanks, Colin...

  1. Anyone using Volume Manager in HP-UX MC/SG environment.

    Has anyone successfully configured Volume Manager in an HP-UX MC/ServiceGuard
    cluster? I understand from the Veritas sales team that it is supported,
    but can find noone who has successfully implemented it.

    Thanks,
    Colin

  2. Re: Anyone using Volume Manager in HP-UX MC/SG environment.

    Hi Colin,

    Did you finally get an answer ? i too am in a similar situation .

    regards

    Dominic

    "Colin Bieberstein" wrote:

    >Has anyone successfully configured Volume Manager in an HP-UX MC/ServiceGuard
    >cluster? I understand from the Veritas sales team that it is supported,
    >but can find noone who has successfully implemented it.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Colin

  3. Re: Anyone using Volume Manager in HP-UX MC/SG environment.

    Volume Manager gives you devices. That is all.
    So you configure the volumes, jsut as you would a device.
    The volumes all belong to diskgroups. This is a grouping (like a volume
    group in LVM terms).

    So, you can import a diskgroup (if you are going to cluster accross more
    than 1 machine, or it will autoimport if only 1 machine).
    To import a diskgroup: vxdg import -Cf

    The a volume will be available. All you need to do, is to check if the
    volume has been started

    (vxprint -thg ) | grep | grep ^v

    and make sure that it is ENABLED ACTIVE

    If it is not ENABLED ACTIVE, you will need to either recover or start
    the volume (depends on what type of volume it is - just see the admin guide)

    -----
    OK, so that will give you a diskgroup, a volume, and then you can mount
    the volume. The block device file for the volume will always be:

    /dev/vx/dsk//

    (if this file is present, it also indicates that the volume has started)

    Please note that the "<" and ">" in all the commands above must not be
    placed in the command.

    The rest is up to you to do (configure MC Service Guard). That is not a
    Veritas thing. So, yes it is supported and workable. You just need to do
    a bit of work.

    Dominic wrote:
    > Hi Colin,
    >
    > Did you finally get an answer ? i too am in a similar situation .
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Dominic
    >
    > "Colin Bieberstein" wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone successfully configured Volume Manager in an HP-UX MC/ServiceGuard
    >>cluster? I understand from the Veritas sales team that it is supported,
    >>but can find noone who has successfully implemented it.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Colin

+ Reply to Thread