Installing VM on the Sun A5000 Disk Array - Veritas Volume Manager

This is a discussion on Installing VM on the Sun A5000 Disk Array - Veritas Volume Manager ; I want to be able to install VM on an A5000 disk subsystem that is shared between two Sun E250's. What is the proper installation procedure for doing this... so that I can deport a disk group from one system ...

  1. Installing VM on the Sun A5000 Disk Array

    I want to be able to install VM on an A5000 disk subsystem that is shared
    between two Sun E250's. What is the proper installation procedure for doing
    this...
    so that I can deport a disk group from one system and import it to another?

    Has anyone done this?

  2. Re: Installing VM on the Sun A5000 Disk Array

    Hi Jack,
    This is a procedure i carry out regularly. It is quite simple really.
    1. because you are using a photon and not a D1000, etc, you
    do not have to make any changes to the scsi initiator id at the ok prompt.
    All you have to do is make sure that when you type format on both nodes,
    you see the same number and order of disks (check the cabling).
    2. Install veritas on both nodes and license them. (Actually you do not
    need a
    license for photons, if you system isd patched correctly).
    3. Create you diskgroup on one of the nodes. i.e vxdg init disk1 disk2, etc.
    and then create your volumes/filesystems within this diskgroup.
    4. You can update /etc/system with the newly created volumes so that
    they are mounted on evey boot. Alternatively you can deport/import and deport

    the diskgroup on either host by simply typing
    node1# vxdg -t deport dg-diskgroup (vxdg list now shows nothing)
    node2# vxdg -t import dg-diskgroup (seen by vxdg list command)
    5. Unfortunatley you need to mount the volumes manually (or update /etc/vfstab)
    on the new host. If you use a product like sun cluster, the volume can
    be automatically mounted.
    hope this is of help.
    Rgds,
    Colin

    "Jack" wrote:

    >I want to be able to install VM on an A5000 disk subsystem that is shared
    >between two Sun E250's. What is the proper installation procedure for doing
    >this...
    >so that I can deport a disk group from one system and import it to another?
    >
    >Has anyone done this?

+ Reply to Thread